Puerto Rico» Forums » General

Subject: OK--I've fallen prey to the dark side rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
No, I don't mean Agricola. I mean that nefarious band of BGGers who adjust ratings to affect game ranking. I just changed Puerto Rico from an 8 to a 9 and Agricola from a 6 to a 4. I felt that I could do so honestly, because my attitudes toward the two games genuinely match the descriptions of those ratings. In fact, I don't expect ever not wanting to play Puerto Rico, so I could honestly give it a 10. But I can't quite put any Euro on the same level as WotR.

Anyway, I thought I'd confess this on a fairly friendly forum! (Note that I'm not posting this on the Agricola forum!)

Doing my bit for PR's PR. . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhhh...

Well, if you like PR a lot and don't like Agricola, I don't think you're tampering with the ratings. Not sure how friendly the other responses will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
If your feelings have genuinely changed over time, I dont' think there is anything wrong with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I tried to change Agricola's rating to 11 because thats what it goes up to, but BGG would not let me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Conquest of the Empire by the revised rules for the first time in years and I forgotten how wonderful the bits are and how hard the decisions are. I am thinking of uping it from 6.5 to 7. I also forgot what backstabbing bastards my friends are, maybe I should move it down to 6? Never mind, no one else cares.

What interests me is did you rate it a 6 because it was #1 and the peer pressure got to you or are you moving it down not because you are hoping to see the king fall or did you have a legitimate change of heart. I might change by a point bt almost never by 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either one is not fit for the top yet I maintain my ratings for them because they reflect my opinion of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Faithfull
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh my God. Someone on the internet has a different opinion from me.

GET HIM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
sbauer9 wrote:
I played Conquest of the Empire by the revised rules for the first time in years and I forgotten how wonderful the bits are and how hard the decisions are. I am thinking of uping it from 6.5 to 7. I also forgot what backstabbing bastards my friends are, maybe I should move it down to 6? Never mind, no one else cares.

What interests me is did you rate it a 6 because it was #1 and the peer pressure got to you or are you moving it down not because you are hoping to see the king fall or did you have a legitimate change of heart. I might change by a point bt almost never by 2 points.

I have since compromised and moved back to 5--4 was excessive.

But the poster who pointed out that this isn't really worthy of a thread was right. I started the thread because I've noticed folks accusing others of changing ratings to affect ranking wars, and I wanted to see what sorts of reactions I would get if I actually owned up to it. But it is a rather trivial thread, I admit.

I find the ratings very hard to apply fairly. For one thing, my desire to play a given game fluctuates quite wildly, so if I followed the official guidelines strictly I'd be changing ratings by 2-3 points all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.