Roman Serebryakov
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Was just checking on status of the last third secret game that is going got be revealed the first quarter. So far, FFG have announced Runewars, and Horus Heresy snore

So, I went ahead for the fun of it, to check the status of their reprints, or games in development, so I found out that the only game that is in the concept stage is Gears of War. Check here to check for yourself, set the status to "any", category to "board games" and stage to "in concept."

Whoever doesn't know, Gears of War is like one of the most popular and also exclusive game for Xbox 360, it is pretty fun and millions of people are playing it on Xbox Live.

Anyways, wanted to know what you guys think about it. Do you think it is a co-op game, maybe a completely new genre, or what ?

Can't wait to hear more news about it. whistle surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the XBOX games and have been anxiously awaiting some news on this one as well.

I would guess it ends up being something like DOOM or Descent where a team of COG's go against a single Locust player. The idea of a fully co-op game is interesting as well but either way I would assume it is going to be a tactical game in order to capture the "teamwork" aspect of the video game. I am curious how they will handle the maps as a lot of the video game levels were outdoors and not in tight corridors like DOOM. Maybe tile map sections that go together different ways?

Have they announced who the designer is? I have come to like Corey Konieczka's games quite a bit as he seems to come up with some really original mechanics that fit the theme pretty well.

Hopefully some news will be forthcoming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Serebryakov
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, found some official info:

Read the article

Some parts:
"Fantasy Flight Games will publish the title, with initial details stating that the players will take control of the Marcus Fenix and the squad of marines as they struggle to plant the Lightmass bomb to exterminate the Locust hordes infesting the underdark of planet Sera. Fans of the franchise will immediately recognize that this is the story of the the original Gears of War title.

The Gears of War franchise video gaming has a sequel scheduled for September of this year. With the board game installment focused on the first Gears of War title, we can assume that this first release will kick-off a entire franchise line of other Gears of War board game expansions. We would speculate that an expansion will also release sometime next Summer with content from the second Gears of War Xbox 360 title."

An the picture (it matches the shape of the 3rd Surprise game from the site))

LINK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gears of War board game was listed in development months before FFG announced that they had three secret new games coming out soon, so I doubt that it the third title to be announced, but who knows? I thought Planet Steam was going to count as the third mystery game, but I guess not. According to Gone Cardboard, FFG is currently developing a lot of other games not listed on their website, including:

A Song of Ice and Fire: The Adventure Game
Battles of Napoleon
Blood Royale (new version)
Borderlands (new version)
Constantinopolis
Dune-like Twilight Imperium mash-up
Gears of War: The Board Game
Reins of Power
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Serebryakov
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borderlands? Are you serious?!wow If it based on the video game, I am uber excited about it. I loved the pc version and it is just so fun, the loot, different weapon upgrades, etc. Fun fun

joshp wrote:
The Gears of War board game was listed in development months before FFG announced that they had three secret new games coming out soon, so I doubt that it the third title to be announced, but who knows? I thought Planet Steam was going to count as the third mystery game, but I guess not. According to Gone Cardboard, FFG is currently developing a lot of other games not listed on their website, including:

A Song of Ice and Fire: The Adventure Game
Battles of Napoleon
Blood Royale (new version)
Borderlands (new version)
Constantinopolis
Dune-like Twilight Imperium mash-up
Gears of War: The Board Game
Reins of Power
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orange_wacko wrote:
Borderlands? Are you serious?!wow If it based on the video game, I am uber excited about it. I loved the pc version and it is just so fun, the loot, different weapon upgrades, etc. Fun fun

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Borderlands is a reprint of an older game with the same name:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40/borderlands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be that the Dune reprint is the third title. I think it'll make a pretty big splash when it hits, and there hasn't been much info about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another option is warhammer quest with arkham-horror like standies. apparently GW dont hold the rights to it, so it may have moved to FFG under the radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or do FFG release more Games Workshop related material than Games Workshop do? At least as far a printed books/game boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Serebryakov
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thr33why wrote:
Is it just me or do FFG release more Games Workshop related material than Games Workshop do? At least as far a printed books/game boxes.

very interesting assumption. It seems like FFG are releasing more and more Warhammer games, and their news on the web site mostly about Warhammer stuff. I agree with the post above that they might have bought rights for Warhammer from GW, or maybe even bought out GW itself? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm hoping it's Fury of the Bear, but my bet is it's the Game of Thrones Adventure game. Those other games will most likely be big-box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orange_wacko wrote:
thr33why wrote:

very interesting assumption. It seems like FFG are releasing more and more Warhammer games, and their news on the web site mostly about Warhammer stuff. I agree with the post above that they might have bought rights for Warhammer from GW, or maybe even bought out GW itself? goo

Well, I thought it was pretty widely known that FFG and GW entered into a licensing agreement over a year ago. These GW-themed products are the result. While the license does not cover minis-based games (and that's why you didn't see Space Hulk reissued by FFG, but instead by GW themselves), it does allow FFG to produce board and card games based on GW properties. If you ask me, I actually think FFG has gone a bit overboard with its shift to GW-themed products. I'd like to see some more stuff developed around things like their own Twilight Imperium world, and their Tide of Iron series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the third mystery box will most likely NOT be anything that FFG have announced already. Therefore, it will most likely NOT be A Song of Fire & Ice (The Game of Thrones Adventure Game) nor will it be Gears of War.

It's possible it MAY still be the Dune re-theme, as that game was never actually announced - FFG simply stated that they had acquired the rights to the "Wheels Within Wheels" game system, but no official announcement on a game was ever actually made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Serebryakov
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I guess we have to wait and see.
Mystery of FFG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.