Subject: how in the world do you get geek gold? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how in the world do you get geek gold? I have posted a few pics that got me 1 GG each and I posted a review that got me a GG, but how do you get enough to do anything with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing it repeatedly.

(or selling or auctioning games for GG instead of money)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Donating to the site or buying it in auctions is the lazyman's way, and hence, what I chose to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Lesavoy
United States
West Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give geek gold for helpful strategy articles I read...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a multitude of ways to obtain gg....session reports, reviews, articles, pics, advice, gifting, asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Johnson
United States
Harrogate
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donations to BGG net you 1 GG per dollar donated. Not the most efficient way to get GG, but it helps the site.

GeekModding (the process through which your pictures and review went through before being posted to the site) can give you a small but steady flow of GG.

People can tip helpful (or amusing) posts or Geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give geek gold when people ask how you get it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I could have went to the new user forum to read the huge pinned thread about gaining GG. Sorry for the dbl post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
maksum wrote:

Hey, "How do you get geek gold?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
maksum wrote:

You're not thinking big enough.

How do you get geek gold?

I spent years trying to earn up the GG for an uberbadge. When I finally reached that amount late last year... I had forgotten all the great ideas of all the things I'd do if I had an uberbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
spudz777 wrote:
Donations to BGG net you 1 GG per dollar donated. Not the most efficient way to get GG, but it helps the site.

GeekModding (the process through which your pictures and review went through before being posted to the site) can give you a small but steady flow of GG.

People can tip helpful (or amusing) posts or Geeklists.

Geekmodding on http://rpg.geekdo.com also helps a lot, as there's often more content to mod.... and it helps the rpg items getting approved (or declined) faster.

Writing helpful posts or answers gets you some geekgold from time to time, too. Being friendly may add to that amount.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Enter one of your old games in the monthly geekgold lotteries. Here is the latest Games for Geekgold February 2010 - It's Carnaval Time.

Any decent game will get 200+ geekgold, but you do have to pay to ship it or people usually won't bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The easiest way to get geek gold is to sign up for the Stanford "protein folding project" and let your computer do all the work when you're not using it. You will get about 5-10 GG per month - unless you want to uber-geek your hardware setup, then you can get more. And you will be doing something for humanity (including yourself).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/742

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a while you just get into a rhythm, but it's daunting at first. Don't overlook the option to submit forum threads for GG. If the thread has a bit of substance to it, you can get a couple of GG for something you were going to write anyway. Sometimes you get turned down but there's no harm in trying.

Also, if you plan on participating in the long-term but would like to be recognized by an avatar and a few microbadges, $5 in a GG auction gets you 70 gold. Takes care of all the preliminaries and helps you settle in. (And it helps get GG out of circulation while rewarding the people who earned it, which is always a plus).

At one point I sold a game (Thurn and Taxis) I valued at $15 for 250GG. I just wanted to get it out the door and I didn't want to go through the rigamarole of floating multiple trade offers over several days. I'd played the game a dozen or so times, so I'd gotten my money's worth out of it. At the time, the GG exchange rate was 10-1. Now it's 14-1. So if you've got a mid-sized game you don't really want anyway, you should easily be able to get 350GG for it with the current rate. That covers an avatar, geekbadge, uberbadge, and 27 microbadges.

Hmmmm.... probably overkill. Maybe you should just pay $5 and settle into a rhythm.

As a sidenote, I don't consider BGG support to be a method of getting GG. It's a nice gesture to receive it, but the site deserves my support anyway.

Edit: Math
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Write things that people want to hear.
2. Agree to well thumbed posts.
3. Look what's in the Hotness list and praise these games.
4. Look what games are unpopular and slam them down.
5. Very important: Write tirades of hate about Games Workshop,
but don't forget to praise Space Hulk at the same time (sounds
strange I know...).
6. Most important: Upload pictures with womans (if they are game related
or not doesn't really mater). A nice cleavage is an advantage.

And when you have enough geek gold (it shan't be long) for an avatar, choose a friendly one, with an intellectual undertone.
My avatar would be the opposite of that and therefore a bad example.

This way you'll also get a huge amount of thumbs.

Or you can choose the hard way: submit files, respect and help other people and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
maksum wrote:

Ok, I gave each of your comedians a geek penny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say, "Not by posting a thread that has been posted before countless times." but I see that I'd be wrong. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into role playing games you can submit new item entries to RPG Geek. There's a seemingly endless number of supplements out there, you should be able to pull in a decent amount of gold in short order, especially if you focus on smaller games. That was my experience a few months back, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought my avatar. It took a loooong time to get enough GG, mainly because I don't have a good camera, I hate taking notes while I play games, and don't have the skills with wordses to write reviewses. And geeklists just scare me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
It took me almost six years to earn my first 50 gg. I had around 10 gg left and started a contest to give it away. That was less than two months ago and since then my total acquired gg has exceeded 300. I'll be giving away just under 30 this weekend, and another 20 next weekend. We'll see if I finally run out again by then. Sure I don't get to spend it all on myself - but periodically a nice geek will earmark a tip for something like a geekbadge or microbadge.

I don't know if I'm giving advice here or what ... maybe what I'm trying to say is you can win gg in my latest contest (random prizes for entering, you don't need to get anything correct).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Mixemong
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to beg without begging. Hence no avatar yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two more ways, mostly overlooked:
1. Submit corrections. If you track down some notorious games with miniatures you will realize, that there are many pictures of painted or customized material in the "game" picture gallery, instead of the "creative" one, where they belong (browse the game gallery and check the several ways to sort them at the top to see what I am talking about).
If you "collect" the urls of the images and send a nice correction ("correction" at the top of the game page, scroll down to "Note to Admin") with a list of these urls, it takes a couple of days, and you get 0.25 up to 1.00 for your work. Be careful not to make mistakes, some games` miniatures ARE painted out of the box!
2. Submit web links. Just check out other web ressources like luding with links to reviews. For example, here is a list of the new games from Nürnberg 2010:
http://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/cgi-bin/luding/GameTag....
(note: I added the new reviews from there a minute ago, so no need to do it again )
Check the games at BGG and you will see, they might not have these reviews linked (at the bottom of the page under "web links". Click on "Add link" and follow the instructions. Just copy and paste the url, write a nice capion" like "German review at spielbar.com" and submit that. 0.25 per link !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Design a shipload of microbadges and watch how your pile of gold became larger while you were sleaping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.