United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this on yahoo news so I thought I would share:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100211/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_arg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Round Two Anyone?
Reasons why the last war escalated from international crisis to shooting war:

1) Argentina's junta was near collapse due to a poor economy, and they wanted a patriotic war to distract the populace.

2) The British majority party was facing losing the next election also because of the economy and Cold War events.

2b) ... which is why they were forced to cut back on support for a far flung dependency like the Falklands, signaling to Argentina they wouldn't fight for them.

2c) ... yet they couldn't risk the political backlash of not fighting for them.

3) Both sides expected the other to back down, but neither could without losing national control.

Given the world's present economic environment, how's the checklist matching up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Reasons why the last war escalated from international crisis to shooting war:

1) Argentina's junta was near collapse due to a poor economy, and they wanted a patriotic war to distract the populace.

2) The British majority party was facing losing the next election also because of the economy and Cold War events.

2b) ... which is why they were forced to cut back on support for a far flung dependency like the Falklands, signaling to Argentina they wouldn't fight for them.

2c) ... yet they couldn't risk the political backlash of not fighting for them.

3) Both sides expected the other to back down, but neither could without losing national control.

Given the world's present economic environment, how's the checklist matching up?

Is that a rhetorical question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
...playtesting of Where There Is Discord - The 2010 Oil War commences next week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

...here we go...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2858607/Falklands-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hopefully that snips point (2b) above in the bud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The plot thickens

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_lat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Osborne
England
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Round Two Anyone? Update: 2/23 The Plot Thickens
In the news last week:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8547639.stm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is US foreign policy regarding a conflict between a long-time ally and a nation in the Americas? Or are pan-American ties (like the Organization of American States) waning in favor of groups like the Rio Group, Union of South American Nations, and Organization of Ibero-American States?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
What is US foreign policy regarding a conflict between a long-time ally and a nation in the Americas? Or are pan-American ties (like the Organization of American States) waning in favor of groups like the Rio Group, Union of South American Nations, and Organization of Ibero-American States?

Our South American policy has been murky as of late, and by late I mean both with Obama as well as W. Clinton did visit with the leader of Argentina in an unscheduled visit last month, but it does not appear as if we are clearly on one side or the other.
The latest issue of The Economist noted that the British drilling that took place in the Falklands recently found an unappreciable commerical oil deposits, but it also noted that they are going to drill again this month. I figure this will blow over.....unless the Brits find oil. Then, we may see some, ah, shall we say "movement" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oil: it's not just for the middle east anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably preaching to the choir, but here's a quick history concerning the Falklands up to now.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/05/political-comebacks-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You never know but lets hope not.

From a generalised military viewpoint the UK could still put up a very good fight, the current Royal Navy is less than half the size of 1982 but its ships have been modernised including its biggest ship HMS Ocean and better amphibious capability with the Bay class and Albion class. The new Type 45 destroyer has been declared as effective as five Type 42's put together. If the 2 new Elisabeth aircraft carriers do enter service again the UKS force is pushed on another military generation. And not forgetting the UK has been fighting almost constantly since 1991, so there is a much higher level of combat experience than 1982.

As far as I know Argentina has not spent much on defence to move on from losses in 1982 or modernisation.

A big plus if they did take the Falklands would be the use of the current runway which is a full capability military runway...that said the Falklands is much better defended than 1982, so in itself it would require a much higher level of military prowess to take it than previously demonstrated.

Argentinas chance of winning the football world cup this year is massively higher than Englands though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope fewer ships doesn't mean the Royal Navy has put all its eggs in one basket. There's perennial muttering on the naval warfare folder in CSW about how about between present-day ships with aluminum superstructures and modern weapons with large payloads, ships are effectively one-hit-one-mission-kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if its any basket its a Falklands one, the new frigates and destroyers are designed with sea skimming missiles in mind. Alround the Navy is more capable by far than it was and it is modern and undergoing further upgrades.

The Argentine fleet is based around the latest exocet but with a very limited number of ships. The new Astute class submarine with latest Tomahawk capability would be the foil to these.

I agree though modern warfare could be very one hit one kill, but being at the cutting edge is important for any conflict...and i think the majority of countries around the world struggle with that budgetwise, and the UK is no exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.