Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a quick question concerning spending fatigue on Prolonged Actions. Basically does it work the same way it does for attacks? I.e. you can spend fatigue 1 at a time after you have rolled to add 1 power dice per fatigue to the roll up to a maximum of five.

Or do you have to spend the fatigue BEFORE you roll the dice? I thought it would work like with attacks, but the rulebook seems to infer that you must spend the fatigue all at once, before you roll. Which is correct?

Also, how does the half-action "concentrating" work. The rulebook states that a hero may "concentrate" as one of his half-actions when taking a Ready action. But it also says that the hero must have a Prolonged Action Order on him in order to concentrate. Yet under the "Stun" section, it states that a stunned hero recieves one "half-action", and includes "Concentrating" in that list.

Basically what I'm asking is may a hero only Concentrate when he has already placed a Prolonged Action Order on himself previously in the turn? Or could he, for instance, declare a Ready action, Concentrate by rolling the dice on some Prolonged Action, and then place a dodge order on himself? I'm thinking he must actually have the "Prolonged Action Order" token on himself in order to "concentrate". Since it is removed at the end of his turn, the only situation where I could see that happening is if another hero with Leadership gives him that order. Anyone have any thoughts or clarification on this?

Any help with these issues is much appreciated, thanks .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Good questions. I have checked the rules and the FAQ and can't shed much light on this.

I agree that the examples given in the rulebook strongly imply that fatigue must be spent BEFORE the roll. It would have been nice if they had just printed that though...

My reading is also that the hero must have the Prolonged Action Order on (and not a Dodge Order or Rest Order etc).

I believe this means a Stunned Hero cannot use the Concentrate half-action unless he has an Order bestowed on him by means of Leadership.

Has anyone got a different interpretation - or better still an official answer to these questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No official answer I can remember, and I doubt you will ever see one. Prolonged actions were not liked by the community at the time and have been largely abandoned by Kevin Wilson and FFG. It's the reason you haven't seen a use for them since AoD.

EDIT: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye you're probably right. I posted the same question on the FFG forums for Descent and the only response I got was from another user who basically agreed that a literal interpretation of the rules is correct.

I.e. you can only spend fatigue on Prolonged Actions before you roll (as the rulebook's example seems to imply) and a hero could only choose to "Concentrate" as his half action while stunned if he had a Prolonged Action order on him when his turn started. The only situation I could see that happening would be if another hero used leadership to put one on him before his turn started, since the PA order comes off at the end of a heroes turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So it seems we're all agreed then.

I can't help wondering if the reason prolonged actions "were not liked by the community" is because of the clunky/confusing rules surrounding them, rather than the thematic idea - which I think is rather nice.

Shame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, the rules around them are a bit confusing. It's too bad, I think they were a fun thematic idea. Still, I guess they do allow for a lot of customization if you are designing your own scenarios. The fan made Order of Kellos expansion makes some good use out of them I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main complaint that I remember was the time investment. Prolonged Actions slowed down an already plodding game.

Also, remember that FFG keeps taking the stance that not everyone will buy AoD. So the expansions that could have really used them (RtL and SoB) don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.