Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As my gaming nights have dwindled over the years to practically zero, I find my eyes wandering over the bookshelves and my mind wondering if it might be time to trim down the size of the collection.

I have a small number of "valuable" titles (Acquire [1999], Samurai Swords, Betrayal, some Heroscape expansions)...nothing that would buy a new car, but would certainly be worth something to somebody. I also have a fair number of not particularly valuable games that, for whatever reason, have never hit the table. So naturally, I find myself toying with the idea of selling some titles. Then just as quickly, I tell myself that I'll regret doing so in the future. I don't particularly need the money, but neither do I need a box of plastic bits that just sits on a shelf.

Given an general lack of gaming in your life, would you rather (a) keep a game that might be difficult for you to re-acquire, or (b) have money in hand?

Has anyone been in a similar situation and want to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been in the particular situation with regards to board games... however, I have had to sell things when I needed the money, and I ALWAYS regretted it. I bought, then sold, then re-bought a GameCube and a PS2. Therefore, I wasted that money. I've sold DVDs and always regretted it. I've sold video games that I've regretted.

Granted, my situation was that I needed the money at the time, so I sold what I could. At this point in my life I don't really need money, but I do have many games, movies, CDs, hobbies in general that I don't really use anymore, yet I still do not want to sell them because I may regret it at some point.

(I had considered selling my paintball stuff to fund some games, but that would be the second time to buy and sell that equipment, so I hesitate... even though I don't really see myself playing paintball at any point in the future... but that equipment could make a nice present to a cousin or something.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd keep them. If you aren't in financial need, what's the harm in leaving them unused for now. In the future they may catch a spark again and you'll be glad you kept them! (or maybe they'll never get played and you'll always lack a bit of extra space... heh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep 'em and consider them part of your kids' inheritance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WillT wrote:
Keep 'em and consider them part of your kids' inheritance.

Says the man with 9 kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they are and they aren't difficult to re-acquire.

Acquire has been reprinted and if you want to play it you can pick one up for cheap. Betrayal is coming out again (so who even knows if your current version is worth anything anymore) which means that it will be much less expensive to re-buy (and have better rules), and some of your other games you could probably pick up again.

If you aren't playing them, and if you aren't going to play them, get rid of them. If you want to repurchase them later, odds are they will be approximately the same value, so the only thing you lose is transaction costs (paypal and shipping), however you gain the ability to use that money. if you put it in the bank, you get interest, if you spend it on something else you get to enjoy that something else.

Sitting in your closet, those games are neither making money for you, nor are they contributing anything to your enjoyment (unless you like looking at them). I would sell, and sell without regrets. If you end up repurchasing them in the future, you will have spent the intermediate time gaining enjoyment out of that money and will come out ahead (even if you lose $10 in the transaction). If you don't re-buy them in the future, you will have saved yourself from wasting money by keeping it locked up in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I call dibs on the Heroscape stuff .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.