Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Wong
United States
Oakland Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starting from about a year ago, after finding BGG, I've really started to introduce myself to the world of gaming. I've always been an avid Chess and Poker player, but I've only recently found out about the thrilling variety of games that actually exist. Unfortunately, not many of my friends share my new-found interest, and it's been quite a task to have boardgames become a staple of our social activities.

Most of my friends have been into party games, but I have a hard time making them fall in love with abstracts and even gateway games (Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, etc). That is, with the exception of Hive. I find the game to be a Chess type game with simpler rules but still with enough strategically depth to satisfy. There are enough options available on each turn where the better player will win with a very high frequency. I find the simple rules, short game duration (15-20 mins), non-intimidating theme to facilitate interest in non-gamers. I have friends that would never have been interested in playing me in Chess, but have decided to give Hive a try for the aforementioned reasons. Most found themselves to really enjoy the game.

Most nongamer friends I have tend to resent the direct confrontation and manipulation in games. They can't appreciate the "art" behind the deception. In Hive, I feel like the confrontational aspect of the game is masked by the mechanics of the gameplay. For example, instead of killing, capturing, or directly blocking an enemy piece, in Hive, you are "merely" attaching your own piece to an opponent piece as a defensive measure. This act of attack through unity actually lessens the feel of conflict.

I will be using this game as a gateway game for nongaming friends for quite some time, and I will enjoy every minute of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
I find Hive to be far less forgiving than some other abstracts being producded these days. It seems you can really have lost the game in the first 5 or so moves and have to wait out the approaching doom. Oddly tho, I have little problem getting people to play it repeatedly.

The short play time and relatively limited number of reasonable moves seems to mitigate this. Coupled with the fact that there is no setup time and no take down time, people I have shown the game to say "I lost? Let's play again."

Chess, Go and Gipf games don't seem to provoke that reaction. For those games the reaction is more along the lines of "It's over? I don't understand why I lost. Let's never play this again."

Using Hive to build into other abstracts might be exactly what I need to do get more opponents for my prefered games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Hey, That's My Fish!? A game with interesting decisions and forward planning, disguised with a cute theme. It can be played without difficulty by kids but rewards strategic thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airxmoa wrote:
I find the...non-intimidating theme to facilitate interest in non-gamers.

Why the designer decided to use beetles and ants instead of Orcs and dragons is beyond me.

I just tried this game a couple of weeks ago, and it definitely has it's subtleties. It's going to be a while before I get tired of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

I just tried this game a couple of weeks ago, and it definitely has it's subtleties. It's going to be a while before I get tired of this one.

And then you still can add The mosquito to stir things up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a gateway game for me from euro games to abstracts. There are new gates you will find after you entered the world of boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
How about Hey, That's My Fish!? A game with interesting decisions and forward planning, disguised with a cute theme. It can be played without difficulty by kids but rewards strategic thinking.

'Hive' is an excellent game, in my opinion, and is one I have never tired of pulling out and showing to folks, especially with only one other person hanging around! It was one of the games that really got me into Board games...

I will have to agree that 'Hey, that's my fish' makes a better gateway game for abstracts due to theme and even simpler mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious what kind of gateway people see Hive as. Is it a gateway for non-gamers into abstract strategy games, or hobbyist games? Or is it a gateway for non-abstract strategy gamers into abstract strategy games? Or is it a gateway for abstract strategy gamers into another genre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gateway in general I was assuming...I hate the term "gateway" because that in itself is dependent on the audience (er person you are introducing the game/gaming to).

I think Hive is a great fit for showing to a chess player who has never played much else..and is a good introduction to abstracts for anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Wong
United States
Oakland Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quoridor is definitely up there for me in terms of a simple abstract with tremendous depth in strategy. I can't compliment that game enough.

IMO I would say that Hive is probably a bit more accessible to complete nongamers merely for the bug theme. Quoridor has the feel of an abstract abstract where the theme is pretty much general geometric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the gateway abstract category, Blokus and Blokus 3D also come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.