Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had expected that we'd be playing something else last night, but Randy hasn't had the time to read the rules of the new game he's interested in properly yet. So, we found ourselves playing Combat Commander: Mediterranean again, which we were both quite happy to do. In this battle, Randy played the Italians and I played the British. My forces were terrible: green territorials. Against that, I did have a heavy machine gun.

I wasn't entirely happy with my set-up: very vulnerable to Randy's artillery, but I didn't want to dilute the defense of the ridge that much. My "secret" objective turned out to be an open objective: if someone held all the objective locations before a sudden death roll, they'd win the game. Could I hold Randy off that long?

Randy's first play of the game was to send some artillery in my direction. No problem - scatter indicated it hit me, so onto the defense rolls. The *very* first roll I made was a Time trigger, so Randy had his reinforcements very early indeed. Once they hit the table, his artillery could now fire smoke and so it shortly hit the table, swirling around one edge of the ridge and protecting his oncoming troops. This wasn't good.

Mind you, Randy had hardly placed the smoke, than *he* drew a Time Trigger. The next photo shows the situation at that point - not much has changed save for the reinforcements and the smoke.

I was now having a lot of problems with my cards. I had quite a few Combat Confusion or Artillery Request cards coming into my hand with "Defender Only" actions. "Hooray!" I thought, "Cards I can use!" Alas, no - most allowed me to place foxholes, which my foxholed troops really couldn't do.

Randy continued to shell my position, and moved his troops up under cover of smoke. My weapons began to break - not through Sustained Fire, despite me gambling with that action a few times, but just through card triggers. A sniper managed to break one of Randy's troops, but I certainly wasn't drawing the Fire cards I needed. Nor was Randy - just as well!

Random draws eliminated my weapons; not good at all! Randy's artillery dropped more smoke to protect his advance on the other side, but Randy needed to give up the Initiative to protect his troops from a badly misdirected shell. My heavy-machine gun post was now in imminent danger of being overrun, and I didn't have anything to protect it with. Disaster loomed!

A couple of melees later, Randy had grabbed the first part of the ridge. I was firing as much as possible, which often wasn't that much, just to get through my deck quicker and get to the new Time triggers. In many of our games, we have a lot of Breeze events - where were they this game? Funnily enough, Randy was able to bring up his troops on my right flank along the ridge to meet up with his left-flank troops - I didn't have a single Fire action to help, and certainly no Wire or Mines to make things more tricky.

My only joy was using Rout orders to get his broken units off the board; something that gave me much needed VPs.

The breeze finally came up: too late for my troops, as Randy was now ensconced in my foxholes! One of my squads had been running around in the smoke and now found itself exposed and broken. (One reason it had been moving through the smoke was to draw fire and hopefully waste some time of Randy's!)

Randy cursed his deck, which wasn't giving him the Advance orders he needed to continue into my foxholes: I was rolling good enough for my defense to keep him out. His artillery had now been Denied twice and was recalled to other duties. (Randy had drawn a Request just before I played the second Denied!)

The last stage of the game saw Randy eliminate my poor, exposed troop - and a Hero rally his broken squad before I could eliminate it with a Rout command, but the seventh Time trigger was drawn before he could advance further. The Sudden Death roll - a 5 - and I held the Initiative. We revealed Randy's hidden objective, and it gave me a further 3 points.

The battle was mine - the British had held on and won with a final score of 12 VPs.

The scenario ended with me finally holding Hidden Wire and Hidden Unit cards in hand, but I'd spent a lot of the game being quite ineffective against the Italian advance. Mind you, Randy felt he'd spent a lot of the scenario having completely ineffective cards in hand himself - and he had a lot more trouble getting rid of them than I did! Still, when you discard three Command Confusion cards and gain two Command Confusion cards and an Artillery Request in exchange, you wonder why the card gods hate you so much.

The play of this scenario means we've now played through every scenario in the CC:Med playbook - the Battlepacks now beckon! (CCac will probably hit the table next week, however). Playing the Med scenarios with the much more ineffective Poles and Italians has been quite unusual: It'll be odd when we get back to the Russians, Yanks and Germans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great report. Those plucky Brits, eh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merric, you did well to win.

My preferred Brit setup is to dig in as much as possible on the reverse slope of the hill, just behind the crest hexes, and save up fire cards for when the Italians peek over.

Of course a SMART Italian player would probably come around the side of the hill instead of going right up to the crest, but Superior Firepower Walt came straight at me and the poor Italians got their faces smudged with close range British gunpowder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me you cannot give up the initiative to re-draw an artillery scatter, because it isn't really defined as a die roll. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. I just wasn't going to double-check at the time: I was very happy for Randy to give me the Initiative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a sly commander, Merric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.