2 Posts

Marvel Heroes» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Next Roll" , Discarding Clarification , and Captain America rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rulebook pg 15, under Timing Of Special Abilities, 2nd dash-bullet point.

"Abilities usually apple either to your next roll, that is the one that is immediately to come, or to the dice rolls you just made."

Reading this statement it would seems that when you see the term NEXT ROLL you can apple the ability to the current rolled just made by your opponent. Is this actually referring to if the 1st roll had dice boosting and now you would use your ability on those re-roll-able dice ?

Examples:

1.) Omega Red. His Death Factor Pheromone allows you to subtract 1 die from the next roll made by your opponent. Initially I play this by using the ability to minus the amount of dice by 1 use by the Hero on the roll coming up immediately. However re-reading the rules again can I use Death Factor Pheromone to subtract/take away 1 die from a resulting roll eg. the Hero's attacking roll. Or does the term actually means that I can subtract a die which will be roll again a a result of boost?

2. Green Goblin. Explosive Pumpkin Bombs says Discard a Villain Card to add 1 die to your next attack roll. So in a slightly similar confusion to above, can the Green Goblin assuming boosting apply that when rolling for the boost dice can +1 die to that roll. However this would create the small problem of having that 1 extra die showing boosting again and should we roll again that die? Or is the way i'm currently playing the correct way which is as if Explosive Pumpkin Bombs is a +1 to Green Goblins Rating which gives him extra 1 die extra only for the first roll. But then it does not say rating. ..or does the retroactive aspect of the rules apply here?

3. Wizard. Anti Gravity Disk, Instead of rolling your dice on your next roll, your results is 3 hits. Similar problem with Boost in effect If I roll blank, blank and boost can I instead of rolling the boost die discard and get 3 hits as result.

4. Discarding. Now there were similar debate about this issue but I was not able to find an official conclusion. Abomination Healing Factor, Dr Doom Battle Suit, Wolverine Healing Factor, Captain America Shield Toss e.t.c. do I discard before rolling or after rolling. Now I appreciate your comments however it would be nice to have the official ruling on this if any.

Rule Book. pg 14. First Attack Phase. 5th Line.

"The Attacker must roll at least one hit to inflict a KO"

5. Captain America. Shield Toss, since i MUST ROLL at least 1 hit what happens when I get all blanks but use shield toss ? I didn't ROLL the 2 hits however?

Phew! Long post, thanks for reading to the end though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djay16 wrote:
1.) Omega Red. His Death Factor Pheromone allows you to subtract 1 die from the next roll made by your opponent. Initially I play this by using the ability to minus the amount of dice by 1 use by the Hero on the roll coming up immediately. However re-reading the rules again can I use Death Factor Pheromone to subtract/take away 1 die from a resulting roll eg. the Hero's attacking roll. Or does the term actually means that I can subtract a die which will be roll again a a result of boost?

No. Your initial use was correct. Thing chooses Red (5-2-1 IIRC), Omega Red can use DFP to make Thing's dice 4-1-0 (at the cost of 3 Villain cards).

Quote:
2. Green Goblin. Explosive Pumpkin Bombs says Discard a Villain Card to add 1 die to your next attack roll. So in a slightly similar confusion to above, can the Green Goblin assuming boosting apply that when rolling for the boost dice can +1 die to that roll. However this would create the small problem of having that 1 extra die showing boosting again and should we roll again that die? Or is the way i'm currently playing the correct way which is as if Explosive Pumpkin Bombs is a +1 to Green Goblins Rating which gives him extra 1 die extra only for the first roll. But then it does not say rating. ..or does the retroactive aspect of the rules apply here?

Initial way again the correct one.

Quote:
3. Wizard. Anti Gravity Disk, Instead of rolling your dice on your next roll, your results is 3 hits. Similar problem with Boost in effect If I roll blank, blank and boost can I instead of rolling the boost die discard and get 3 hits as result.

If you roll, can't use AGD. It's either or. If you want to chance the dice, hope you roll 3+. IIRC, Wizard's Yellow ability is 1-1-5. Hard to get 3 hits on either attack or defense with 1 die (doable with boosting), but 1 Villain card guarantees 3 hits. Will 3 hits on defense be enough for a 1KO Villain is another question alltogether.

Quote:
4. Discarding. Now there were similar debate about this issue but I was not able to find an official conclusion. Abomination Healing Factor, Dr Doom Battle Suit, Wolverine Healing Factor, Captain America Shield Toss e.t.c. do I discard before rolling or after rolling. Now I appreciate your comments however it would be nice to have the official ruling on this if any.

I've always been on the after rolling side.

Quote:
Rule Book. pg 14. First Attack Phase. 5th Line.

"The Attacker must roll at least one hit to inflict a KO"

5. Captain America. Shield Toss, since i MUST ROLL at least 1 hit what happens when I get all blanks but use shield toss ? I didn't ROLL the 2 hits however?

IMO, that part doesn't take into account the few hit-adding abilities (Cap and Storm come to mind) available. Also, pre-FAQ, Cap and the Villain both rolled their dice and then before comparing hits, Cap could use his ability to add 2 hits. FAQ changed it so that Cap rolls, decides if he adds 2 hits, defender rolls. Last sentence in the first paragraph under "First Combat Sequence" reads: "Count and compare the number of HITS rolled on the dice." (p. 14)

Bottom line (to me), attacker must have a result of at least 1 hit to inflict a KO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.