Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Days of Wonder site has "After-Action Reports" for Memoir '44 that allow players to record their wins and losses for each scenario. Based on these numbers, the site calculates the win/loss ratio for each side, which is handy for a couple of reasons. First, you can introduce new players to the game with scenarios that are either balanced or that favor them. Second, if you only have time for one play of a scenario (rather than switching sides and playing a second time) you can get a sense of how well each player performed.

I was hoping to find something similar for Battle Cry but wasn't able to. So, I did my best to calculate it from the few session reports here on BGG, adding in some scores from a few threads I also found (like this one). For each scenario I've listed the number of Union and Confederate victories and the percentage of wins for each side. Here are the results:

Ordered by Scenario Number

Union Conf.
# Scenario Title # % % #
-- ---------------------------------------- -- --- --- --
1 First Bull Run 11 35% 65% 20
2 Pea Ridge 10 50% 50% 10
3 Kernstown 4 36% 64% 7
4 Shiloh 6 55% 45% 5
5 Gaines Mill 10 83% 17% 2
6 Brawner's Farm 6 40% 60% 9
7 Antietam 1 6% 94% 15
8 Fredericksburg 2 25% 75% 6
9 Murfreesboro 6 67% 33% 3
10 Chancellorsville 4 44% 56% 5
11 Gettysburg - Devil's Den and Wheat Field 5 45% 55% 6
12 Gettysburg - Pickett's Charge 5 56% 44% 4
13 Chickamauga 6 50% 50% 6
14 New Market 2 50% 50% 2
15 New Hope Church 2 33% 67% 4

Ordered by Degree of Balance

Union Conf.
# Scenario Title # % % #
-- ---------------------------------------- -- --- --- --
2 Pea Ridge 10 50% 50% 10
13 Chickamauga 6 50% 50% 6
14 New Market 2 50% 50% 2
4 Shiloh 6 55% 45% 5
11 Gettysburg - Devil's Den and Wheat Field 5 45% 55% 6
10 Chancellorsville 4 44% 56% 5
12 Gettysburg - Pickett's Charge 5 56% 44% 4
6 Brawner's Farm 6 40% 60% 9
3 Kernstown 4 36% 64% 7
1 First Bull Run 11 35% 65% 20
9 Murfreesboro 6 67% 33% 3
15 New Hope Church 2 33% 67% 4
8 Fredericksburg 2 25% 75% 6
5 Gaines Mill 10 83% 17% 2
7 Antietam 1 6% 94% 15

Note that most of these numbers are pretty small, so I'm not going to claim that they're statistically accurate. But I'm nevertheless hoping that it'll be of some value to someone -- it will be to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stats on Antietam don't surprise me. Although outnumbered the Confederates enjoy a vastly superior positional advantage and 3 v 5 cards is just lol.

The numbers on Gaines Mill are interesting. Although imbalanced I don't think it's quite as bad as those stats make out as long as the Confederate leader is prepared to be extremely patient and wait for the right moment to assault.

I'm talking about waiting until they have say 2 atttack/assault cards in the same sector with a forced march/leadership/hold and fire backing that up. And believe me the construct fieldworks card for the Greys can be a game turner.

Nice thread btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
You should upload this as a file to the Files section. If you dont want to let me know and Ill do it for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, guys! Charles, I'd add this to the files section myself if the numbers were more significant and if my research had been more exacting. What I wish is that Game Table Online could keep track of these statistics automagically. If they could store the statistics for each human-vs-human game, they'd have better statistics than this within a day or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be a work in progress :)
I agree it would be nice to have the support that memoir does. I hope DOW picks it up for the reprint
Another game Id like to see info like this is Hold the Line.. Oh Well..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles: Ditto on Hold the Line. I just played Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War a few days ago for the first time and am looking forward to playing it again. I don't own Hold the Line yet, but will be getting it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On my table for the weekend :) I am going to possibly try some solo home made napoleonic rules just for fun using Viktory 2 units or some from my copy of Eagle Games American Civil War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played the Antietam scenario five times in a row against the computer opponent on Game Table Online. The computer opponent is pretty weak, but I thought this would be a challenge since Antietam is the most imbalanced scenario (15-to-1 in favor of the Confederates).

I lost all five times, 3-to-6, 4-to-6, 4-to-6, 4-to-6, and 5-to-6 (in that order). I then played just one more time and won, 6-to-4. I suspect my one success was due more to good card draws and die rolls than it was to my skill as a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played "Gettysburg - Devil's Den and Wheat Field" and "Chancellorsville"

The Confederates won "Gettysburg - Devil's Den and Wheat Field"

The Union won "Chancellorsville"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonovanLoucks wrote:
What I wish is that Game Table Online could keep track of these statistics automagically. If they could store the statistics for each human-vs-human game, they'd have better statistics than this within a day or two.

if you want to post this as an enhancement request on GTO and link us to it from here I'll add my support

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
if you want to post this as an enhancement request on GTO and link us to it from here I'll add my support

Thanks for the suggestion. Here you go!

http://www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.