Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dwsw
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone could speak on which game is better and why?

Steam or Railways of the World. I would like to buy one semi heavy train game and I am not interested in 18XX or the like.

The mechanics look the same and their respective pages refer to one another quite a bit.

The only thing that I can see that I like about one over the other is the gameboard for Railways of the World is much more appealing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam is the tighter "game". It also feels a lot more gamey than Railways of the World. I really feel like I'm building a railroad on an epic scale with Railways of the World, but with Steam it's much more I'm building a network to serve the needs of the game.

Both are good games. Steam is probably the better game, but I really like the experience of Railways of the World.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played none, but been reading up alot over the last 2 weeks.

I've decided on railways of the world, and hope to put my order in sometime in the next couple of days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merric's experience mirrors mine exactly.

Depends if you tend to prefer "game as narrative" or "game as logic puzzle"

RotW tends towards the former - Steam towards the latter.

Both are great games and worth owning IMO so you can't really go wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely AoS.

oh, wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways has cards with "missions" on them that you can do to score points, e.g., be the first to have upgraded your trains to level 4. It can become something of a race to score these cards, but I enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dwsw
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are they different enough to own both?

What game would be more appealing to non gamers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're different enough to own both. Railways of the World is definitely the better draw for non-gamers, although the "basic" game in Steam also might work. (I actually prefer the basic Steam game to the full game).

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much agree with Merric.

I will also add that the expansions for Railways of the world are almost a must. The England and Wales expansion introduces a stock market game to the mix but also is a cool map. The Rails of Europe expansion is very nice also.

I haven't tried Steam Barons yet but that looks interesting also on the Steam side of the equation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them both and enjoy them a lot, but Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World gets played more often. It feels lighter and more expansive and"fun" somehow - I'd bet the plastic trains and the big ole board has something to do with it. We also play a 2-person variant with RRT/RotW that works great for my spouse and me. You really need 3 people to play Steam.

But I do enjoy the basic game of Steam a lot too which has a slightly different feel and is perhaps a bit more polished, absorbing, and also more prone to analysis paralysis largely due to the fact that people are feeling, oh, this is a serious game. I've never played the standard game but will when I have someone who deosn;t mind the brutality of it - a poor decision in the early game can pretty much cream you...

Honestly the game weight of RRT/RotW and basic Steam are about the same. If you want a game that gives you the option of a heavier game, then get Steam. If you want to keep it light and dig the plastic chrome, then get Railways of the World.

I'd be sad if I had to give one game up, but if I could only keep one, it would be Railways of the World + its Railways of England & Wales expansion.

If I had very little storge space, then I'd keep Steam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.