Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Biden calls Iraq "one of the great achievements of this administration" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damnit, Biden, you forgot sliced bread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Biden's actual quote, for context:

Quote:
I am very optimistic about -- about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. You're going to see 90,000 American troops come marching home by the end of the summer. You're going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government.

I'm not saying he's not a dumbass, but isn't excising the "could be" in the subject line just a bit dishonest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Quote:
I am very optimistic about -- about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. You're going to see 90,000 American troops come marching home by the end of the summer. You're going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government.

I'm not saying he's not a dumbass, but isn't excising the "could be" in the subject line just a bit dishonest?

Matt, c'mon man, on this one, don't waste your time trying to defend this statement. This is just an incredibly ridiculous statement from a man known for making ridiculous statements. Whether or not the "could be" was left in Drew's OP, it is still unbelievable to me (or, sadly, quite believable) that Biden could utter such a thing. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't defend the statement. I called him a dumbass. If he'd left it at just the troops coming home I could have given him some benefit of the doubt. Taking any credit for the progress of the developing government in Iraq is just nonsensical.

Doesn't change the fact that Biden did not call Iraq one of this administrations great achievements - I'll grant that it's picking nits, but I just don't see why massaging the headline is necessary at all when Biden does a fine job of playing the fool all by himself.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, Matt, could you coddle him any more lovingly? He lied. His thread title is a lie. Calling someone a liar in this forum is bad, as we all know, so I'll turn it down a notch and say that the thread title is completely misleading, trolling bullshit. Oh wait, I can't call it a troll post, either. Damn. Well, thank goodness people can say whatever the heck they like about public figures in this hell hole without worrying about what anybody will subsequently wish to say about *them*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Gee, Matt, could you coddle him any more lovingly? He lied. His thread title is a lie. Calling someone a liar in this forum is bad, as we all know, so I'll turn it down a notch and say that the thread title is completely misleading, trolling bullshit. Oh wait, I can't call it a troll post, either. Damn. Well, thank goodness people can say whatever the heck they like about public figures in this hell hole without worrying about what anybody will subsequently wish to say about *them*.

And a extra thumbsup if I could grant it, for refering to RSP as "this hell hole"! Surprisingly, I find it a most agreeable hell hole, but that is an apt term for the place, nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just grandstanding, much like Biden and Drew1365. I honestly don't know what to think of this administration. I'm still fairly sure they lost my vote for re-election weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Quote:

Biden's quote is ambiguous at best. He either could mean that the 90,000 troops coming home is the great achievement -- which would be true from the lefts perspective or he could mean that Iraq moving toward a representative government is the great achievement, which would be taking undue credit.

Likely, he meant the former, but is so clumsy with words that he messed it up. It could be the former, but he seems to clueless to be so sneaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Biden is neither dumb nor clueless.

Tonguetied- Yes.

Its a fair guess as to what he was trying to say- other than the usual attempt to be all things to all people.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Obama selected Biden for his running mate, I thought he'd made a big mistake. Getting himself connected to this establishment DC loose-cannon with a propensity for "foot-in-mouth" disease was going to cost him, I thought. Of course, given who Obama was running against, Maverick & Lucy, as well as the ghost of Dubya, he probably could have picked L Ron Hubbard as a running mate and still won. My problem is that we haven't had a decent choice of candidates in a long, long, LONG time.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm throwing my lot in with this guy - even undead, he'd be better than most of the dreck we've had to choose from in decades...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
No, Leo, NO.

ZOMBIE ELVIS!!

ZELVIS in 2012!!!!!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I'll give Obama one thing, he certainly couldn't have chosen a better assassination preventor than Joe Biden. Good grief what a dumbass.

I find this statement to be a little incongruous with your "Christian" microbadge.

I know though.. it's funny to talk about powerful black men in America getting murdered, and finding the very few reasons that people shouldn't murder them. If only Joe Biden was the Vice President of the NAACP Mississippi State Conference then Medgar Evers could've gone without a bullet in his back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
No, Leo, NO.

ZOMBIE ELVIS!!

ZELVIS in 2012!!!!!

Darilian

One of these days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:

I find this statement to be a little incongruous with your "Christian" microbadge.

I know though.. it's funny to talk about powerful black men in America getting murdered, and finding the very few reasons that people shouldn't murder them. If only Joe Biden was the Vice President of the NAACP Mississippi State Conference then Medgar Evers could've gone without a bullet in his back.

Don't bring race into it. It's the job of the vice president to scare the shit out of potential presidential assassins. While nobody will ever be able to match Sarah Palin's potential in that regard, I appreciated the props for Joe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:

He's not a real Christian. He's one of those angry Christians. The Religious Right is the work of Satan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Roth

APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you are going to see 90,000 troops come marching home this summer, conduct reintegration training, then a deployment train up, after which alot of those 90,000 are going to march to Afghanistan.

I have learned alot of things from studying history and my own experience as a soldier. One of those is that it does not matter what form of government a nation has, or who happens to be in charge of that government at a particulair time. If you are a professional in the military you are going to be sent somewhere, to do something, to someone.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Like this?

Are we talking about Jesus or Christians?

bjlillo wrote:
You're so cute when you're being crazy like that. My posts are filled with sarcastic humor. Yours are filled with accusations that your country and fellow citizens are evil. From what depths do you conjure up the nerve to call me angry?

Can't you take a little ribbing? I was being sarcastic. (Though, I do think that the RR are very misguided, but I was joking about you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Go get 'em, Clarence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
Can't you take a little ribbing? I was being sarcastic. (Though, I do think that the RR are very misguided, but I was joking about you)

You'd better be joking or I'd have to kick your ass.

Not unless you want an oribtal fracture around your right eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Scripture depicts someone far more human than that, showing a wide range of emotions, including anger.

In the farflung future, how is scripture going to depict you? Assuming, naturally, that the only record of your tendencies that survives is the record from RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm throwing my lot in with this guy - even undead, he'd be better than most of the dreck we've had to choose from in decades...

http://www.videosift.com/video/Lewis-Black-Its-Time-for-a-De...
[Edit: the usual Lewis Black language warning applies]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Scripture depicts someone far more human than that, showing a wide range of emotions, including anger.

Of course, no shit... My point was that the Religious Right as a movement did not follow Christ at all. Fake Christians... pretend Christians for money and power. Anger does not mean you cannot follow Christ. The "Religious Right" base their religion on anger, fear and greed... not scripture, not Jesus.

This is what Jesus thinks of them using His name:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

I've voted for Bucky Fuller (posthumously, I almost could have voted for him live) and John Maynard Keynes in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Say, Jesus, you were born in a manger, too, weren't ya? That's great, but you do know I'm not into this interspecies bullshit you keep trying to talk me into, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

Go get 'em, Clarence!

And that is the last time the Lions beat the Saints....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.