Subject: My thoughts on Mortars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
I've played a few of the solo FFs and I'm really enjoying this. One thing that I'm seeing is how deadly the mortars are.
The last game I played similar to this was Tide of Iron, which I really enjoyed, but this seemed like an increase in sophistication and in detail that I wanted.
The big difference that I see at the moment is with how much more dangerous mortars are. Just the ability to be able to spot for themselves and not having to put another precious squad in danger.
I can put a mortar behind a building or in it, and use a clear hex up to two spaces away to spot.
I find them crazy dangerous. And as long as you don't have to move them to improve spotting options or capture an objective you can just rain down hell on your enemy.
I've been reviewing some of the other FFs and I am starting to see/panic about the, effectiveness of the mortars.

I might be looking at it with inexperience, but I'm just about to start FF5 and I'm looking at the threat radius each of the mortars has, and it is intimidating. I tried the optional set up for ff4 and the Germans were tore up. No way to get a shot at the Soviet mortars, who were hidden behind the stone building and one in the woods.

Plus add in the ability for some mortars to fire smoke, I think these re some of the most dangerous units on the field. At least for now.

Any tips for taking these out in FF4 and FF5 would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
We haven't played FF4 with the mortars yet ... but we are planning on it.

In FF5, I lost big time as the Germans ... the Soviet mortars didn't help but it wasn't the reason. Sometimes they are really killer and other times they are not. I think a lot of it is to focus on good tactics/direction for your units and not overly worry about the mortars. They can't fire that often. In FF5, you actually have a lot of options early on to avoid them so that is a great thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.