Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Noll
United States
Grafton
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing CoH:AtB solo for a little while and decided to purchase SoS. I've been playing war-games long enough to expect that not all games, even if part of series, will be of equal quality. I was pleasantly surprised with I opened SoS and found it to surpass the quality of AtB.

I think Uwe should teach some of these other game companies, especially those that have deep pockets, about how to put together a good, fun war-game. Though I am not intending this to be review of CoH, I will say that I like the complexity level of the CoH series, and the 'feel' of the overall game.

In contrast, Combat Commander: Europe which I own and have played, falls slightly flat only on the weakness of it's presentation. Overall I think CC:E is a more innovative game than a CoH game, but is less enjoyable for me to play because of it's less deluxe feel. Maybe the best way for me to describe it is CC:E feels like a game, and CoH feels like an event. Given the choice I'd choose to play CoH.

In my opinion a CoH game represents a good return on investment, especially at internet prices. Thanks Uwe for a great game. Now lets move this CoH train a bit closer the contemporary, shall we.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
"Maybe the best way for me to describe it is CC:E feels like a game, and CoH feels like an event."

I'm actually the complete opposite. Both are superb games, but my own opinion is that CoH feels like a game, CC feels like an event. A tense, exciting story if you will. But different strokes makes for lots of good wargames, no?

PS. Though both use hexes ... a personal pet peeve. That's why I'm "leaving" both systems for 28mm minis using Troops, Weapons & Tactics or CrossFire: Rules & Organizations for Company Level WW2 Gaming for my platoon level WW2 gaming, and NUTS! Second Edition for man-to-man skirmish stuff. Barry Doyle's brilliant (and free) Valor & Victory (aka ASL Lite) will remain my one concession to hex and chit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Just try lock'n load... I have to say I played all of those games but I found the overall presentation and the gameplay of lock'n load beats the heck out of it's competitors.

Even though i would second that CoH is the game whereas CC:E is an event . Much more memorable outcomes in the later because of the intense storyline that is created by random events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Noll
United States
Grafton
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree the narrative in CC:E does make that game feel like a story, and I do wish CoH had a bit more of that. But for me the look of the game is what puts it on the table, and keeps me coming back. I really dislike the CC:E counter art, and the maps are nice, if plain. If you could meld the two together it would be perfect for me.

As for LnL I have played BoB, and I prefer the CoH game. Don't know why I just couldn't get into it. I'm thinking about getting World at War, or White Star Rising when it comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Noll
United States
Grafton
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

PS. Though both use hexes ... a personal pet peeve. That's why I'm "leaving" both systems for 28mm minis using Troops, Weapons & Tactics or CrossFire: Rules & Organizations for Company Level WW2 Gaming for my platoon level WW2 gaming, and NUTS! Second Edition for man-to-man skirmish stuff. Barry Doyle's brilliant (and free) Valor & Victory (aka ASL Lite) will remain my one concession to hex and chit.

I'm a recovering miniatures gamer, Blitzkrieg Commander was my game of choice. Too much painting, not enough time, had to switch to board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.