Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the text of a story from Newsday.com about two young Long Islanders who invented a boardgame and sold it to Hasbro for a million dollars. I hadn't thought deals like that were possible for boardgame designers nowadays. More power to them if they did sell their idea for that much but it seems odd to me that one could make that much from a single design (without it becoming an enormous hit or without several previous successes behind you). The game "Charge Large" is not in the database either -- although there are youtube videos and such of people playing it on the net. Am I missing something here?

Bellmore board game inventors are back
February 10, 2010 By JAMES BERNSTEIN james.bernstein@newsday.com

Quick SummaryAfter making about $1 million on their first game, Charge Large, the game wiz kids are back with The Game of Seduction, based on the best-seller "The Game."

The two 20-something Long Islanders who created the board game Charge Large, which was acquired in March by Hasbro and has been on the shelves of Walmart and other national retailers since last year, are back inventing another game.

Joe Davis of Merrick and Adam Kornblum of Bellmore, both 26, say they made close to $1 million on the Hasbro deal. They are hoping to do as well or maybe even better with their new game, to be called The Game of Seduction, based on the book "The Game" by best-selling author Neil Strauss.

Charge Large was all about teaching young people how to build good credit and borrow responsibly.

The Game of Seduction, which is expected to be released in the next six to eight months, is a social role-playing game to be used at parties. "There's nothing sexual about it," Davis said.

They are planning to self-publish this game, they said.

Davis and Kornblum have been busy. They created a radio DJ toy, to come out next year. They contract with companies to work on market strategies. No LIRR or subways and buses for them. Most all of their work is done out of Kornblum's home.

"We initially said we have an idea" for the Charge Large game, Davis said. "We said, 'Let's try it.' We've been pretty fortunate."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Charge Large? Never heard of it. Maybe it's great. Seems unlikely.

Some companies have more money than sense - as the saying goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-04742-Charge-Large/dp/B002E9HAR...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Hasbro has plenty of games, mostly of the types us geeks disdain, that have each probably made them millions.

It's a weird world.Someone oughta sell tickets. I know I'd buy one. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Saw Charge Large in the clearance section of the local Wally World. Wasn't anything worth $10 in the box as far as I was concerned
Hard to believe they paid those guys a million bucks for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandr Sirotkin
Canada
flag msg tools
I find the name of the game appropriate given how much they got paid for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen it at the local wally world or Kmart. Doesn't seem much like a game to me, especially since there are other games that are similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wilhelm
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
Hard to believe they paid those guys a million bucks for the game.

Hasbro is the government contractor of the gaming world. Government contractors will gladly pay $500 for a hammer, and Hasbro will blissfully pay $1M for crappy board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Looks kinda dismal from the video review.
So it'll probably make plenty of cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just the Hasbro version of Cashflow... they were just trying to get in on the Robert Kiyosaki Rich Dad, Poor Dad bandwagon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atilla66 wrote:
So Hasbro has a million dollars to purchase the rights to a board game but they won't reprint the great Avalon Hill games that they currently also have the rights to. Bankruptcy is too good for them.

Unfortunately that's common in many industries, buy rights to suppress a product rather than make money from it. It's why we have so many varieties of the same few games in major retailers. Companies that avoid competing with themselves and others are effectively creating a Monopoly which is what the game industry is in my view (refuted by many in a post I made here a while back)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
"...a game that incorporates recreation alongside education in the genre of credit utilization."

Sounds AWESOME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, I don't see anywhere that any Hasbro-Exec confirmed those numbers, and their second design "will get them just as much" but they still plan on self-publishing?

Come on guys, they're just making shit up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
The article doesn't say the the game was purchased for $1e6. Rather they said they made about that much on the deal. I'd assume this included royalties for sales.

I seriously doubt Hasbro would pay that kind of money for a new game from unknown authors.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Wait, I don't see anywhere that any Hasbro-Exec confirmed those numbers, and their second design "will get them just as much" but they still plan on self-publishing?

Come on guys, they're just making shit up.

QFT.

The guys are full of bullshit. Why would they go down the self-publishing route if they had access to the ear of buyers at Hasbro and the chance for another big payout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four 5-star reviews on Amazon? Really? I am tempted to buy the game just so I can write a real review of it for Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Charge Large? Never heard of it. Maybe it's great. Seems unlikely.

Some companies have more money than sense - as the saying goes.

Probably because it just like Apples to Apples. A fun party game, but nothing to rave about. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Stogiannos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:

It's both funny and telling that the 'frequently bought together' Amazon suggestion includes the two long standing BGG favorites Monopoly and Game of Life...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meeples meeples
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Here a little bit more info...

http://www.dolanmedia.com/view.cfm?recID=549936

So they met with Charles Wang?
Also, they only say royalties and an advance, and gave them each office space.

Also, sounds like they did a good job getting the name out, with their millions of followers (so the article says). But the funny thing though... I never heard of the game until now.

Also, what do 20 somthings know about finances to the extent they will educate the rest of the world ?

Clearly, taking current affairs and making a game out of it seems like a good idea at captivating the interests of people today.... I mean really, how many people are buying railroads today, or taking over galaxies in their real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meeples meeples
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I just spoke to my contacts at Hasbro... They paid the million in monopoly money.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.