Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest Twilight Struggle. It's not ancient, Civil War, Vietnam themed, but Cold War, I don't know if that's going to be a show stopper for you. But it is currently number 1 ranked wargame, and, why I'm suggesting it, is 'cause it is my first war game that I've played and/or purchased, and I felt right at home with it. It's quite simple, plays in under 3 hours, and has many interesting choises to be made during the game. Unfortunately, its only for two players.
But stay tuned, I'm sure there's a lot more suggestions coming up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients should probably scratch the itch, and if you're craving more after that, the Great Battles of History series will add in the extra layers of detail and verisimilitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients, Battle Cry (a 2010 reprint is apparently, and hopefully, forthcoming), or Battleground are all games that you might enjoy. The first is as the name give away an ancients wargame, the second a civil war wargame, and the latter is basically a miniatures game played with cards between Romans and Carthaginians (although personally I prefer the fantasy version).

I haven't played it myself, but you might want to check out Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam for that urge to play a Vietnam wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Subject: So, where do I go from Pocket Battles?

Pocket Billiards? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
Also, I hold fast to an opinion that build/component quality should account for the largest part of a game's cost, and TS clearly doesn't fit this mantra.

The component quality of the new TS edition is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I can send you a free playtest copy of Civil War Express if you're interested. It plays in about an hour.

Zap me a GeekMail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyalpha wrote:
Anjohl wrote:
Also, I hold fast to an opinion that build/component quality should account for the largest part of a game's cost, and TS clearly doesn't fit this mantra.

The component quality of the new TS edition is great.

I was going to make the same point, but I never get into a debate where the facts are going against a person's prejudices. It's a lose-lose proposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try Commands & Colors: Ancients. The new edition comes with a mounted map! And since you seem to like nice components, I'd suggest Memoir '44. It's not Viet Nam (It's WWII), but it is, however, a very beautiful, easy to learn fun game.

You can't go wrong with either game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Napoleon's Last Battles, it's easily available from Decision Games. It's simple yet very playable. It is much larger than a pocket battle, but infinitely more enjoyable. It will also teach most of the basics of wargaming while providing endless hours of enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Try one of these Starter Wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:

I haven't played it myself, but you might want to check out Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam for that urge to play a Vietnam wargame.

If you decide to do that, try the free print-and-play demo game first.

Click the link above, then download everything labeled "Forgotten Heroes." Print it, assemble it, skim through the rules, and you're ready to play.

The game is currently out of print, but you can preorder the upcoming second edition.

I've only played the demo so far, but I like it a lot--enough that I've bought several other Lock 'n Load games and have Forgotten Heroes on preorder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.