Subject: Beowulf: The Legend with two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game with Myself and Cathy.

She isn't the type of person that likes to play long complicated games, but after reading the rules. I figured what the hell, this doesn't seem so difficult.

*SETUP*
Starting the game took about an hour, playing the game about 30 minutes. That is because both of us are brand new to this game, and we had to read through the rules to make sure we got every minor rule covered.

We organized the alliance tokens face down mixed them. Shuffled the cards and placed the four special cards face up. The treasure, fame and damage tokens stayed in the box. I personally prefer to put the treasure, fame, damage tokens and alliance tokens all in their own pockets already provided by the box. I really liked how the box provided separate and spacey compartments for everything. We had to take the alliance tokens out though, so that we could face them down and mix them. We never used any red or numbered tokens, other than the "1". Basically we gave the "1" token to the player who won the 1st player prize.

*STORY BEGINS*
Cathy started with the 1st player token. Going to the first minor event, I traded two cards for two equally bad cards, Cathy passed. Then we both took a risk and failed miserably. Cathy was busy catching a boat and scratched herself, and I fell on my face taking minor scratches while trying to tie my shoelaces.

The first major event with the court. I guess we were setting up the terms, but I never paid attention to what Beowulf and the King Hrothwhatever were talking about. I couldn't stop thinking about the party afterwards (you know, after we kick butt, right?). Basically me and Cathy bluffed three cards for a tie totally 0 pts vs 0 pts. Cathy won cause she was 1st place and she picked her goodie. I recieved the 1st place token for being so very helpless in the court.

Preparing for the encounter, Cathy took another scratch trying to sharpen her worthless weapons. I on the other hand... Didn't sharpen my weapons, because I'm not that kind of guy to rely on weapons. I prefer to fight bare fisted and naked, like Beowulf.

The big event started. Grendel came knocking on the door like some World Wide Wrestling star. I charged in first of coarse, Cathy tried to help, but she wasn't much help. I kept one upping her with my super good naked wrestling moves. Eventually Cathy had to drop out cause she took a deep would. Beowulf and my supreme naked wrestling moves finally took Grendel out. We felt sorry for Cathy, so we gave her two consolation cards.

Recovery, and I quickly traded my two weapons for some bling bling treasure. Cathy lost her axes somewhere and/or didn't want any of the gold. Her loss.

The BIG PARTY! We had a huge disco night with drinks galor! I was like dancing and giving it all, but for some reason girls gone wild seems to always win. Cathy won disco night and got to pick her prize. I got the 1st place token back, aka the loser's token. (currently Cathy sacrificed a lot of cards but was holding Hrothgar's Blessing and Queen whatever of take no dmg blessing).

Cathy and I woke up the next morning with no scratches. Amazing, our simple scratches healed overnight. However, omg, some nasty Sea-Hag was attacking the village and our peeps before we could wake up. I'm SOOOOOO not a morning person. Everybody thought I got scared and pee'd on myself. No no, that's not what happened. I always need to pee in the mornings. I was just interrupted in the process. Too bad I lost 2 fame for being such a moron doing it.

We quickly recovered from the attack. Luckily I didn't need a new pair of clothes. I'm naked remember? We both passed on sharpening our weapons. We remembered what happened last time when we took that risk, har har.

Beowulf and the gang's hunt for the Sea-Hag. Honestly, I don't know why we call her a Hag. She's more like a sexy demon succubus or maybe a sexy beast. Beowulf was so impressed with Cathy's tracking skills, that he let her let me borrow his triple bladed axe. You know, the one that gives you a triple smoother shave (for her legs duh).

While meeting the Sexy beast in her cave. I was like total burnt from the sexy hotness, and Cathy made it out alive. I think Beowulf dived under a water puddle and have some conversation with the beast. They worked out some type of peace treaty. I took a mortal wound, and Cathy was like whatever +5 fame.

Leaving that place we got some supplies and sailed back to King Hygelac's place. He was like good deal, have some treasure. I don't know what it was but King Hygelac doesn't like girls. He gave me the triple studded helm and Cathy got a cheesy gold for rewards. Of coarse Beowulf got the best reward, but he wasn't telling us what it was. We had some beer and went some some dance raves. At the Friesland Rave, I won best dancer reward for +5 fame, and cathy got the couple gold for being second place.

Somehow, I didn't care much how. Beowulf became king or something. He offered two cards for Cathy and two Alliance markers for me. Many peaceful years passed. Lots of growing old, very little new fame, and nobody sharpened any weapons for risk of taking any scratches.

Then from out of no where, a freakin Dragon started attacking our village. Lots of houses were on fire and I went in to save some family. Unfortunately, there was only an old manakin, I cheerfully saved the manakin, but took a splinter scratch from it. Cathy on the other hand, saved the richest village elder and for a reward got four gold.

While preparing I bandaged my wound from the Sexy Beast those many years ago. Cathy bandaged up a wound too. Then we marched off with Beowulf to put some pawnage into that Dragon.

I don't know what it was but with my super triple padded helm. I was able to head bunt that Dragon down to size. Cathy was so shocked, she didn't really help much. The Dragon came crashing down in a bellow of fire and flesh. Smashing Beowulf and Cathy for some serious damage. Cathy used her Queen whatever's blessing magics to dive out of the way and avoid the damage. I was the hero! +7 fame for me! Unfortunately, Beowulf took a fatal wound or maybe he was just getting old.

Later we found out Beowulf got pawned too (by old age most likely). During the funeral, he left his will to say Cathy was cool and nothing for me. +5 fame to cathy, and +1 fame for me.

In the end, Cathy had a total of 30 fame. I had some hard core lucky alliance scrolls that boosted my score to 37 fame. I was apparently the most popular. The citizens of whatever land voted me as their new King. The town of Whatever flourished and we lived happily ever after. I later renamed out town to Discorocks.

*credits roll, with disco music in background*

Thank you for visiting my tale,
Here's hoping your adventures are
a plethora more fun than mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Kimball
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cleverly written. But amidst the creativity I wasn't quite sure what your actual reaction to the gameplay was. Did you like it? Did she? Decent with 2? Does it feel like it would do better with more than 2 with all that bidding? I ask because my wife and I are excited to try this one but it may only hit the table as a 2-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Au-Yeung
msg tools
mb
It's designed for 5 players because the bidding system is kind of lame for 2 players. Also, it doesn't slow down the game much to have more players, since some of the turns are simultaneous. It was fun as a 2 player game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.