Scrabble» Forums » Rules

Subject: The blank as a leftover tile - does it score? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember this ever having come up in a game, although we may have been avoiding the situation, but I'm down to the last couple of turns in an online game. I have just taken my turn, leaving my opponent with 7 tiles, and me with 6, including a Z and a blank (I just took them now).

If she uses all 7 in her next go I'll just be stuck with them, but if she doesn't, then obviously I'll aim to use the Z, at least, but should I make any special effort to use the blank? I can't find any reference in the rules, either online or in our own set, to what the blank scores as a leftover tile. Presumably, then, it would score zero, but I have this nagging sense that it'll take something horrible off. (Probably from playing scoring card games where a retained joker is worth 15 or more.)

Does anyone know an actual rule for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The blank as a leftover tile
kaec wrote:
I can't remember this ever having come up in a game, although we may have been avoiding the situation, but I'm down to the last couple of turns in an online game. I have just taken my turn, leaving my opponent with 7 tiles, and me with 6, including a Z and a blank (I just took them now).

If she uses all 7 in her next go I'll just be stuck with them, but if she doesn't, then obviously I'll aim to use the Z, at least, but should I make any special effort to use the blank? I can't find any reference in the rules, either online or in our own set, to what the blank scores as a leftover tile. Presumably, then, it would score zero, but I have this nagging sense that it'll take something horrible off. (Probably from playing scoring card games where a retained joker is worth 15 or more.)

Does anyone know an actual rule for this?

The blank tile is worth zero when it's placed on the board and, likewise, is worth zero left in your rack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife once lost a game by one point. She went out and was 1 point behind her opponent, who had one letter remaining in his rack. Anything but a blank would give her victory. But, it WAS a blank and she lost as there were no points to deduct from him and add to her score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, both. That makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wanted to point out that if she was down by one point, a 1 point letter remaining on her opponent's rack would have resulted in a draw, not a victory. 68 of the 100 tiles are 1 point values, so the odds are that she would have tied - her chances of a win were greatly exaggerated. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the person with tiles loses the points, AND the person who went out gains them? So that would be a two point swing, not just one. It would make 499-500 become 500-499.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.