Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pau bo
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After having played several matches with my friends, we need to move the setup of the cars with a few more features.
One that I thought was the wings:
wings +1
- The car in 3 rd gear = roll + 2 spaces
- The car in 4th gear = roll + 1 spaces
- The car in 5th speed = roll - 1 spaces
- The car in 6th Gear = roll - 2 spaces

wings -1
- The car in 3 rd gear = roll - 2 spaces
- The car in 4th gear = roll - 1 spaces
- The car in 5th speed = roll + 1 spaces
- The car in 6th Gear = roll + 2 spaces

What do you think of this and to suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're starting to push at the edges of a poor model, and no good will come of it at all.

The many ways in which Formula De (and other racing games) is a poor model were my motivation for developing my own Formula Racing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I think you're starting to push at the edges of a poor model, and no good will come of it at all.

The many ways in which Formula De (and other racing games) is a poor model were my motivation for developing my own Formula Racing game.

It is certainly not a poor model if you want as much realism as possible while keeping the game simple and fun for even people who aren't diehard racing fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that you are trying to factor in the changes in downforce caused by running more or less wing. However, I don't think it works in game.

Wing -1 = low drag configuration. This should allow the car to be faster in ALL gears due to the drag being less.
Wing +1 = high drag configuration. The car would be slower in ALL the gears.

Why should I have to move two spaces less in 3rd when my car has less drag on it?

What you should do is come up with some kind of bonus or disadvantage when taking a corner - a low drag configuration will not have the same level of cornering grip as a high drag configuration.

Diff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pau bo
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DIFFLOCK wrote:
I see that you are trying to factor in the changes in downforce caused by running more or less wing. However, I don't think it works in game.

Wing -1 = low drag configuration. This should allow the car to be faster in ALL gears due to the drag being less.
Wing +1 = high drag configuration. The car would be slower in ALL the gears.

Why should I have to move two spaces less in 3rd when my car has less drag on it?

What you should do is come up with some kind of bonus or disadvantage when taking a corner - a low drag configuration will not have the same level of cornering grip as a high drag configuration.

Diff.

Yes, seems like a good suggestion.
eg:

wings +1
- The car in 3th gear = roll - 1 spaces (only in the corners)
- The car in 4th gear = roll - 1 spaces (only in the corners)
- The car in 5th gear = roll - 1 spaces
- The car in 6th gear = roll - 2 spaces

wings -1
- The car in 3th gear = roll + 1 spaces (only in the corners)
- The car in 4th gear = roll + 1 spaces (only in the corners)
- The car in 5th gear = roll + 1 spaces
- The car in 6th gear = roll + 2 spaces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pau bo
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

I just try down more specific because we have done many games and we want to take a step deeper into the Simulation.
The first races were with the basic rules (no time or tires) and no setup, then you proceed to the advanced rules and now seek some news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

Your profile page doesn't give any information about your design endeavors etc. I'd like to see more details about your solution to Formula De's "poor model", which as far as I have seen is far and away the most enjoyable racing board game implementation I've seen yet.

Pau: I also have implemented various home-brewed rules modifications to create a more simulation-esque game. Some of the rules worked very well and are regularly used, others were not worth the effort. One thing is undeniable, though. Formula De/D lends itself extremely well to house-rule modifications. Play around with various ideas you'll find posted here in addition to your wing changes and you can end up with a lot of fun stuff going on. Just remember that unfortunately there's no escaping the fact that every turn you are still at the mercy of the dice, no matter how simulation the game might be. Without the chance and chaos, it would be a really boring affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

Formula Dé is indeed a poor model, but you don't need to do a better one, as there is Bolide. Played with the right rules, it plays as quickly.

Formula Dé is still easier though. I found it not so enjoyable after about 30 plays, but hey, it lasted 30 plays.

Then again, I think I over-value game physics. And weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pau bo
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

Formula Dé is indeed a poor model, but you don't need to do a better one, as there is Bolide. Played with the right rules, it plays as quickly.

Formula Dé is still easier though. I found it not so enjoyable after about 30 plays, but hey, it lasted 30 plays.

Then again, I think I over-value game physics. And weapons.

For my group of friends and by far the best racing game. The roll component of a special touch to the "mouth" between us (I personally am also big fan of the leader 1).

jrebelo wrote:

Pau: I also have implemented various home-brewed rules modifications to create a more simulation-esque game. Some of the rules worked very well and are regularly used, others were not worth the effort. One thing is undeniable, though. Formula De/D lends itself extremely well to house-rule modifications. Play around with various ideas you'll find posted here in addition to your wing changes and you can end up with a lot of fun stuff going on. Just remember that unfortunately there's no escaping the fact that every turn you are still at the mercy of the dice, no matter how simulation the game might be. Without the chance and chaos, it would be a really boring affair.

Da to share with us some of these positive experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played FD for four years in a league and with 5 guys and 2 cars each, it's a killer. Takes forever for the other guys to stop counting spaces!

But perhaps I should have a look at "Bolide"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
paubo wrote:
Da to share with us some of these positive experiences?

Have a look in the variants section of the Formula D discussion forum page and you'll see lots of suggestions. There are a number of league variants there including one I proposed and tested out.

At the very least, I think the 'redline' rule (spending an engine point to move further than your roll) is a really big help in offsetting bad luck.

Slotracer wrote:
I played FD for four years in a league and with 5 guys and 2 cars each, it's a killer. Takes forever for the other guys to stop counting spaces!

But perhaps I should have a look at "Bolide"!

If players are ready for their turn before it comes, it doesn't have to be at all like that. I have counted my min and max ideal rolls before my turn and have already decided which gear I will roll and what I will do if I come up short or if I overshoot too much. The players slow the game down, not the system.

Bolide (which does not use a unique mechanic for movement) is simply based on vector racing which is very mathematical. If your players slow down Formula D, they could slow down Bolide just as much. It's not bad, and I will have it in my collection someday, but it's not the answer to the problems you are stating.

Also, for anyone who is an actual racing enthusiast, the massive assortment of retail and user-made expansion tracks available (which are almost all based on great real-life tracks and are very beautifully re-created) add a lot to the them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emiel van marwijk

Zevenaar
Netherlands
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I,ve played FD for several years now with a group of 5 players ( 2-car teams) and making houserules is fun, you can try to make it as 'real' as possible for you and your friends.
I created a League with my friends, gf and youngest son.
I named it Miniatuur Autosport Federatie Zevenaar,( Miniature Autosport Federation Zevenaar )
We now have made houserules that are, at least to us, very enjoyable.
A few HR:
Our soft tyres have a +3 bonus instead of +1.
Experimental engines ( not my idea, read it somewhere on the web )
Wing settings.
Pitlane speed is always 3rd gear unless 'blocked' by other car, wich means lower gear is allowed.
Powerboost: Can only be used in 4th gear and car must still have 2 enginepoints, increases movement by 3.
3 powerboost per race.
We race 10/11 races per season, one year we do a random track season and the next year we do an all american track season.
*This year i won the Best Driver Trophy and my opponent took the Best Team Trophy.
I won the title by a narrow margin of 3 points and lost the other trophy by 4 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.