Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As my previous recommendation request had a bullseye recommendation I come back for more

I am looking for more titles that force players to cooperate to keep a system running (state, ship, whatever) to prevent total loss, but on the other hand require the players to betray/outmanoeuvre each other to win the game.
In other words, it must not be a coop-style game but all players would have common interests.

I will drop some names as examples and my desire levels:
++ The Republic of Rome inspired this request
+ Junta comes close, too.

- Red November and
- Shadows over Camelot meet some of the requirements, but are a little short on "screwage", as both allow only some (or only 1) player, to "betray" the rest.
-- Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game seems to be too heavy on finding the traitors and predestines the sides.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, those bottom three are really co-op games, with a traitor (aside from RN, just a co-op)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns immediately came to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"We must all hang together or, assuredly, we will all hang seperately." - Benjamin Franklin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Life Boats? You are not always helping everyone else, but there is a sense of everybody working together (at times) and deciding by majority vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republic of Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
yeah, those bottom three are really co-op games, with a traitor (aside from RN, just a co-op)

Red November has the potential for a traitor. If one of he players has the right equipment he can bail on the sub and hope everyone else inside isnt able to beat the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
lj1983 wrote:

Red November has the potential for a traitor. If one of he players has the right equipment he can bail on the sub and hope everyone else inside isnt able to beat the game.

true, but he isn't actively working against everyone else. simply jumping ship...so 99% pure co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big problem with this game concept for me is that I don't understand what my incentive is to keep the system running if I can see that someone else is going to win. I.e. from a competitive win/lose point of view, I'd rather we all lose instead of me (and some others) losing and Joe winning.

How is it any worse for me, as a player in a game where the goal is to win, if we all lose, instead of just some of us (including me?) losing? From a competitive point of view, all of us losing collectively is similar to all of us winning collectively. But all but one of us losing, while 1 other player wins, seems like a Bad Thing for me.

And if I'm supposed to set that self-interest aside and play the game in a cooperative spirit (let's all work together to keep Rome alive, or whatever) then why are there individual victory conditions instead of us all winning as a team?

It just seems like the game presents me with mutually contradictory incompatible goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Castle Panic works this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I believe Castle Panic works this way.

This was the first one that came to mind. Might have a winner here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
lj1983 wrote:

Also, there's the variant to this one where you can beat up on your fellow gnomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Sylla fits. The players are Roman politicians competing to be Premier Consul. They need to work together to deal with threats to the city, but compete for the approval of the people. A fine game, overshadowed by its big brother, Caylus.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Terra

The few times we played it - the earth was destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Wiecheć
Poland
Chrzanów
woj. małopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God's playground, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justrag wrote:

But there is no concept of group loss in God's Playground.

Sure, Poland can suffer, and everyone will earn fewer points then, but that doesn't change the fact that the person with the most points at the end wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've only played it once, but I seem to remember Vanished Planet fitting your criteria and very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.