Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a "reprint" of sorts. I saw a few copies at target yesterday for 29.99. It has the same box front but it is a smaller box and doesn't have all the nice bits. SO BE CAREFUL if you plan on buying from marketplace or ebay. Make sure the one you are buying is the one with 600 plastic pieces and the huge board cause the one at Target for 30 bucks was also a AH 50th anniversary edition so if someone posted it for sale and said anniversary edition someone would be pretty upset when they spent a couple hundred bucks and got a 30 dollar game. The seller wouldn't be lying anyone as again the one at target is an anniversary edition but a lower quality one.

So again if you are buying this get conformation from the seller that the one they are selling is the one with 600 plastic pieces (no cardboard chips) and the giant map. The Original anniversary box is huge compared to the one at target now but like I said the front of the box is exactly the same and the back looks identical except for the contents part. So you can also ask for a picture of the back of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the Axis & Allies: 1942 you saw, not a reprint of the Anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I looked twice at the box when I saw it in target because the front look exactly like it.

I know buyer beware but a small post can save someone some heartache

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
you can see from that listing ALL SALES ARE 100% FINAL so there is little to no recourse
Sellers can post statements like that all they want, but fraud is fraud, and still actionable. You can still pursue the claim, and make use of your credit card's protection.

That said, who wants the hastle? It's easier to deal with good retailers and sellers who have reasonable policies, so thanks for giving the head's up to people.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that is what I am getting at there is NO fraud being committed. Nothing on that listing says that it is the one with the 600 "Plastic" pieces. And again it is a AH50 edition I saw it in person and it says AH50 right there on the box so it is an anniversary edition so there is no fraud there if you don't ask questions.

I had no idea that this was reprinted in a lesser quality until I looked at the BACK of the box and saw all the cardboard. Agreed stick with reputable dealers / resellers and ASK QUESTIONS!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
Yeah that is what I am getting at there is NO fraud being committed. Nothing on that listing says that it is the one with the 600 "Plastic" pieces. And again it is a AH50 edition I saw it in person and it says AH50 right there on the box so it is an anniversary edition so there is no fraud there if you don't ask questions.

I had no idea that this was reprinted in a lesser quality until I looked at the BACK of the box and saw all the cardboard. Agreed stick with reputable dealers / resellers and ASK QUESTIONS!!!!

Chris. IT IS NOT A REPRINT. It's a different game. By calling it a reprint you are, yourself, contributing to the confusion and misinformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so maybe I was jumping the gun so to speak other then the bits how is this not the same game??

I see that the box cover has minor differences but what is the difference gameplay wise or are we making different game entries for component quality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally confused now.

The box on BGG entry of A&A Anniversary has the year 1942 on the upper left corner. The boxes on ebay have the year 1941.

Now take a look here...
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/axisanniv
It's the same box as the (what you said to be) $30 stuff, and it is listed below that it has 24" x 46" board and over 600 game pieces (no 'plastic' there). No price though...

The stuff is definitely not the 1942 edition since (1) different box artwork and (2) the year on the upper left corner is 1941.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So wait... this smaller AAA50th... does it have Italy? Or... yeah, now I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I think what's causing your confusion is that both games have the Avalon Hill "50th Anniversary" logo in the lower right corner. In fact, all Avalon Hill games have that logo right now. If you look carefully at the two boxes, you'll see that the art is very similar, but different. You'll also find that the AA50 box says "Anniversary Edition" under the A&A logo at the top right, while the 1942 Edition does not. They are different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
They are different games.

Please clarify for me the difference cause if the only difference is bits I may get the 30 dollar edition cause it looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1942 Edition does not have Italy or China as separate powers, nor does it have National Objectives or Weapons Development. It also has a different map. This map has very similar territories to the Revised map (fewer spaces than Anniversary), but it is done in the style of the Anniversary map. Other than these differences, the core rules are very similar to Anniversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think Kevin's right on the spot here. The AAA and the 1942 box arts are very similar in style/layout, so I probably would think the same if I saw one in Target. And the $30 price tag is also right and 1942 edition is also released later than the AAA.

They are two different games, one with 600+ playing (plastic if you must) pieces and gigantic map, the other with 300+.

Confusion ends :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
The 1942 Edition does not have Italy or China as separate powers, nor does it have National Objectives or Weapons Development. It also has a different map. This map has very similar territories to the Revised map (fewer spaces than Anniversary), but it is done in the style of the Anniversary map. Other than these differences, the core rules are very similar to Anniversary.

Thank you Kevin for the in site on the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.