Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried simplifying gameplay at all to reduce the play time and help new players be less overwhelmed?

Ideas:
Removing cards
removing elites
removing the op coins and just rolling for initiative

I find this game hard to play just because of the setup time involved, and although it is a simple game to learn all the steps just make it too much for a new player to jump in and get it going

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had trouble in the beginning myself.

I would recommend playing a few scenarios with troops only, no specializations and no cards. Add objectives to capture and hold.

After playing a couple scenarios add unit specializations and play a few more scenarios.

Introduce entrenchments and bunkers. Maybe add in the calculating of command points for holding objectives. Play a scenario or two.

Add tanks or half tracks and trucks. Play a couple scenarios with tanks then add the trucks and half tracks.

Add cards and you should be up to speed on playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pirciu
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
North Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning some games without the "suppresive fire" rules. I already removed every rule that had anything to do with the suppresive fire but I did not have time to play a game with these short rules yet. It seems to me the game will be much more engaging and fun for those that do not like heavy rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having stripped all the rules away one might as well go play M'44.

If you don't mind giving up miniatures Conflict of Heroes is a good way to go. Uncomplicated play that is easy to learn yet allows for a lot of decision making. It also has some solo scenarios... Just a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hills
Canada
Saskatoon
SK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some very good player aids that I still use to help move the game along. Thank you Universal Head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Having stripped all the rules away one might as well go play M'44.

If you don't mind giving up miniatures Conflict of Heroes is a good way to go. Uncomplicated play that is easy to learn yet allows for a lot of decision making. It also has some solo scenarios... Just a thought

I have traded Conflict of Heroes because I found it very dry in comparison to M44, TOI or Combat Commander. A lot of it comes down to personal taste, whgich is why recommendations are tricky things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
A lot of it comes down to personal taste, which is why recommendations are tricky things.

Very true Phil... Each of these games scratches a different itch for me. Personal taste is most important when paying $50USD for a game. It is not like taking a chance on a $4 pint of a new flavor of beer.

Sorry to hear you traded away CoH but if it isn't being played it can't stay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have COH and ya know I had a hard time with a concept and I didnt realize it til the other day. In most CC games the closer you get the better your firepower. In COH unless you are in CC this isnt true so I would always get destroyed!

I have to switch gears when playing this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@kaufschtick:
Ok, i only know "Breaking the Line" and "Chain of Command", is there more? And would you mind to share them? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaufschtick wrote:
TylerDax wrote:
@kaufschtick:
Ok, i only know "Breaking the Line" and "Chain of Command", is there more? And would you mind to share them? whistle

Tomorrow I'll scan them into my PC and post them.

Great, thank you Aren´t they still available as pdf´s anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaufschtick wrote:
TylerDax wrote:
@kaufschtick:

Tomorrow I'll scan them into my PC and post them.

I would love to get my hands on those intro-scenarios too, as I now have had the game for 4-5 months and still haven't been able to play it yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.