Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Are these items Wargames in what you understand Wargames to be ?

Poll
StarCraft: The Board Game
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
8.8% 7
No
91.2% 73
Voters 80
Runewars
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
8.9% 7
No
91.1% 72
Voters 79
This poll is now closed.   80 answers
Poll created by skelebone
Closes: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:00 am

Also, commentary on the reasons behind your answers are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me both are space / fantasy themed 'Ameritrash' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither game is a direct conflict simulation (hypothetical or realistic). There other aspects (mechanics) that are not generally in-line with the typical wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.....I do not classify these as wargames. A wargame to me is a conflict based on an histrotical or hypothetical conflict based on real world events. Fantasy and Space conflicts are not real world events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
Nope.....I do not classify these as wargames. A wargame to me is a conflict based on an histrotical or hypothetical conflict based on real world events. Fantasy and Space conflicts are not real world events.

Ditto...although someday the space conflicts might become real world events...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Ameritrash... trash only!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, these are not "conflict simulations".

Granted, too, these are not historical conflict simulations or historical wargames.

But the primary focus of each is war - armed conflict between national, cultural or otherwise-organized forces.

There is nothing about the term "wargame" that mandates it be a game covering a historical conflict.

James Dunnigan's The Next War (1978) was unarguably both a "wargame" and a "conflict simulation". And yet the war it dealt with - while plausible at the time - never occurred. I could name five dozen other, such games.

Likewise, there is nothing about the term "wargame" that mandates it demonstrates a certain degree of effort to specifically simulate a given conflict. (And if there were such a mandate, how does one go about quantifying the degree necessary for "compliance"? Where is that threshold set, and how is it measured?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Granted, these are not "conflict simulations".

Granted, too, these are not historical conflict simulations or historical wargames.

But the primary focus of each is war - armed conflict between national, cultural or otherwise-organized forces.

There is nothing about the term "wargame" that mandates it be a game covering a historical conflict.

James Dunnigan's The Next War (1978) was unarguably both a "wargame" and a "conflict simulation". And yet the war it dealt with - while plausible at the time - never occurred. I could name five dozen other, such games.

Likewise, there is nothing about the term "wargame" that mandates it models a certain degree of effort to specifically simulate a given conflict. (And if there were such a mandate, how does one go about quantifying the degree necessary for "compliance"? Where is that threshold set, and how is it measured?)

Oh God, here it comes!

(BTW I totally agree with you---but wait for the responses!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac McKinlay
United States
Portland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When We the People came out, when the first of Columbia's block games came out, when Storm Over Arnhem, A House Divided and Star Force came out, the natural reaction was that they didn't fit into the category of wargame.
But that category developed, over a relatively short time, out of what we had seen before. It helped us group of similar games being produced mostly by Avalon Hill and SPI. (Previously the term had been used exclusively for miniatures games.) The new games simply changed the category.

Breadth of game design trumps critical categories. Maybe the question should be, of what use is the category, wargame, at this point in our cultural development? Perhaps it would be better defined as one of many modifiers applied to games of complex function. Certainly the example games have wargame features, just as most of the games we tend to call wargames now have qualities shared by other genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
MacMcMac wrote:
When We the People came out, when the first of Columbia's block games came out, when Storm Over Arnhem, A House Divided and Star Force came out, the natural reaction was that they didn't fit into the category of wargame.
But that category developed, over a relatively short time, out of what we had seen before. It helped us group of similar games being produced mostly by Avalon Hill and SPI. (Previously the term had been used exclusively for miniatures games.) The new games simply changed the category.

Breadth of game design trumps critical categories. Maybe the question should be, of what use is the category, wargame, at this point in our cultural development? Perhaps it would be better defined as one of many modifiers applied to games of complex function. Certainly the example games have wargame features, just as most of the games we tend to call wargames now have qualities shared by other genres.

I agree to an extent with your conclusion, but as far as the SPI games, they were called "conflict simulations" by SPI. That was the direction Jim Dunnigan wanted to go - deeper into more factors about a given conflict, than Avalon Hill had traditionally gone. Of course, AH ultimately responded in kind, but the bar had been set by SPI.

Which just brings us back around to what is a "conflict simulation" versus a "wargame". Obviously, the former can be a subset of the latter, but that set does not contain members exclusively in the "wargame" superset. That is, "conflict" is not always synonymous with "war", while war is always a conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they are not...
BGG would benefit from having a Miniature game category where these game like Warhammer would fit and that are usually about conflict and battles themes with figurines with a focus on game, collection and fun rather than on military simulation per say...
Ont he same line a Block game category would be great as this gender is now quite popular...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I have been using the term "Multi-Player Conquest Games" for many years to describe such games.

I'm not sure "multi-player" is necessary there, but it does help highlight the difference between wargames, which are usually 2-player.

With the surge of chrome-laden but free-flying multi-player games like Sword of Rome, Wellington, and Here I Stand, I've become less comfortable with this term, but still use it. (And all three of these games I call "wargames" because of the historical chrome.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't think they're wargames. They do have war as one element. But, they are neither in the wargame style (like Here I Stand), nor dependant upon conflict to succeed (like History of the World), nor exclusively two-player (like every other wargame ever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Shaper
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
In my opinion, if you have to ask then the answer must be no.
War games are a simulation of battle or war. So, if you can't tell if your game is either of those then you have your answer.
Do armies meet to decide the game? Is conflict the purpose of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:

Really? So, how come 4000 AD and Starship Troopers are still on that list? Is it just because of the miniatures?

Oh, and speaking of miniatures:

Desaix wrote:

BGG would benefit from having a Miniature game category where these game like Warhammer would fit and that are usually about conflict and battles themes with figurines with a focus on game, collection and fun rather than on military simulation per say...

So, you think that Runewars and Starcaft would fit that category? I hope that I read you wrong and that you are not really proposing putting them into the same category as, say Warhammer. If you are, this means you need to set your data straight, because you're way out in the woods now.

This thread reminds me of another one I read some time ago. It was about eyecandy wargames (like Lock N Load for example) and some people actually said they like playing older games because they like their hobby to look "serious". I suspect, that playing with dolls (miniatures) would really be a blow to their self-confidence then.

Anyway, I'm slowly beginning to suspect that excluding RW and SC is more a sign of snobbery and prejudice than anything else. But, I do understand that people like to be part of an "elite" group even within their chosen hobby (boardgames). After all, the feeling of being better than the uneducated mob (easily swayed by clear rulebooks and quality components) is something a lot of us love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the repetition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pound for pound, repetition is the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh, and speaking of miniatures:

Desaix wrote:

So, you think that Runewars and Starcaft would fit that category? I hope that I read you wrong and that you are not really proposing putting them into the same category as, say Warhammer. If you are, this means you need to set your data straight, because you're way out in the woods now.

This thread reminds me of another one I read some time ago. It was about eyecandy wargames (like Lock N Load for example) and some people actually said they like playing older games because they like their hobby to look "serious". I suspect, that playing with dolls (miniatures) would really be a blow to their self-confidence then.

I missed Desaix's post. Miniature's NOT a military simulation? That's nuts!

"Dolls?!" When would miniatures be classified as "dolls?!!!"

Action figures is a stretch. They're toy soldiers, nothing more, nothing less!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Wargames" once upon a time were table top battles that used painted figures. Movement was controlled with a ruler or tape measure as was range. It was (and still is) a very time consuming and expensive hobby.

What places like Avalon Hill and SPI did is exchange the tape measures for hexes or "area's" and the figures for cardboard chits. They also took the traditional from the tactical "battle" and made it possible to play out the strategic "war".

Things have kept moving and developing. For mine, I'd class a game a "wargame" if it can draw a line back to these early fathers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desaix wrote:
Ont he same line a Block game category would be great as this gender is now quite popular...

(and we know you don't like it !)
I'm sure the day after BGG founds the block category someone will start the thread "is C&C:A a real blockgame? - is NT a real blockgame?" (and I would probably participate in the thread!).
I've always wondered why wargamers seem to die for taxonomy and precision...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Wargames" once upon a time were table top battles that used painted figures. Movement was controlled with a ruler or tape measure as was range. It was (and still is) a very time consuming and expensive hobby.

I believe "time consuming and expensive" pretty much defines the word hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
cicciburicci wrote:

Because wargamers are stereotypically considered to be concerned with precision and detail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I didn't know better, I'd think Scott purposely tried to start up this same old debate. But surely no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
cicciburicci wrote:

Because wargamers are stereotypically considered to be concerned with precision and detail?

I don't know about you, but I'm concerned with the repetition.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.