Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When Ilya Salkind was trying to get the Musketeers movies funded (the good ones, with Michael York) he met a lot of skepticism. The usual reactions were, "Been done," and, "It's just a kid's movie." He finally got funding -- so the story goes -- when he sent a copy of the novel to a studio with a note -- "Has anyone made a movie of this?" That's my main reaction to this game. I think themed games are best when the designer clearly loves the theme, and I get the impression that this game is in that company.

In play, we immediately noticed similarities to another game. To the extent that I've dubbed it, "Last Night in the Louvre." But comparison to that other game got me thinking of expansions. Are any planned? (He pleaded, hopefully.) I can see similar mechanics working for the Musketeers' breakfast in the bastion, or for their ride to London with the Queen's letter.

Also, I noticed a little bitty logo in the lower left corner of the box front -- a quill, a die, and the words, "Classics to be played." I note the plural with more than a little hope and curiosity.

UPDATE: In an interesting coincidence, I just saw that the producer of that awful "Sherlock Holmes" movie is working on "The Three Musketeers." This could have good results for game sales, and thus expansions and spinoffs. On the other hand, after what he did to Holmes, every library and bookstore should get a restraining order against him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not seen the new Sherlock Holmes. But the fact that the actor won (or was nominated) for a golden globe for best musical / comedy was a red flag. Comments like yours only reinforce my hesitation. Besides, it will be hard to top the amazing Jeremy Brett.

This game, on the other hand, I am highly anticipating playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.