Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to love this game: it is incredibly fast, portable, interesting, and has some brilliant ideas and lots of the elements I love in a game. I am also generally very happy with Z-man games, and there are a lot of very positive reviews and comments.

This one just really has a tough rulebook to decipher. Compound that with player aids that are incomplete and have at least one typo and a game with lots of special cases and exceptions, and you have a very confusing game.

My outstanding questions are:

1. Archers can shoot over engagements, but not over enemies in the opponent's front line, unless they have a long range trait, correct?

2. Once more, for the record, tell me exactly what you do with (a) order tokens and (2) wound tokens on a unit that then gets killed.

Do I immediately give the dead troop(s) to my opponent, so she can keep score, and set the wounds and orders to the side, not to be re-used this round? Or do the markers remain on the dead troop tile, and either I give that tile to my opponent at the end of the round once I have reclaimed my tokens for re-use, or I hand over the tile and markers immediately, but take back the markers at the end of the round? Are the tokens for wounds and orders treated differently in any way when they are on a dead troop? Can I re-use either in this same round? Can they be the draw pile for future wounds, saving me remaining orders if one of my troops sustains a wound?

As I now understand it, all tokens that were on a troop that then dies are out of play for the rest of the round. I think that approach wastes one of the most potentially brilliant things about the game: the limited tokens that serve as BOTH orders and wounds. I think I played this wrong in my first game, but I think in some ways it is a BETTER game when played WRONG in this one regard: we gave back the tokens to the player once the unit died. The awesome two beneficial results are (1) that there are more tough decisions on what to engage and (2) unfortunate dice rolls are mitigated somewhat, reducing the otherwise overwhelming luck factor in this game. If you have lost a lot more troops than your opponent simply because of unlucky rolls, at least you can stay competitive because you may have gotten back some of your tokens to re-use as those units died. This isn't realistic, but it is a better game as it becomes more strategic, balancing, and less random! Do others agree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:

1. Archers can shoot over engagements, but not over enemies in the opponent's front line, unless they have a long range trait, correct?

Correct

Blue Steel wrote:

2. Once more, for the record, tell me exactly what you do with (a) order tokens and (2) wound tokens on a unit that then gets killed.

Give the dead troop to your opponent and set te wounds and orders to the side, not to be re-used this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Seifert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarjar26 wrote:
Blue Steel wrote:

Correct

Going to have to disagree. According to the player aid, the "long range" trait only allows units to shoot from the rear of a sector. It does not allow units to shoot over enemies in an opponent's front line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Seifert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:

This one just really has a tough rulebook to decipher. Compound that with player aids that are incomplete and have at least one typo and a game with lots of special cases and exceptions, and you have a very confusing game.

Absolutely agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarjar26 wrote:
Blue Steel wrote:

Correct

Wrong. The rulebook clearly says on page 19 that "the Active player targets any enemy Unit deployed in the Front on in the Engagement Zone of the same Sector of the shooting Unit".

A long range trait allows Units to shoot from the Rear Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stokes
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On page 20 it says "If a Unit decides to Shoot, but there are no enemy Units in the Front or the Engagement Zone of that Sector, it can Shoot on any Unit in the Rear of that Sector."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.