Subject: Can anything match Imperial? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Imperial is my favourite game. I don't know what it is about it but I get immersed in it - I think it's the fact that you don't own any one nation so the back and forth on that is interesting, and the fact that if you are interested in more than one nation it means you try things differently, and the various aspects of the game just fit together so well. Now I am looking for anything that matches it. Good luck. But anyhow, no harm trying. I had a look at the list of recommendations on the Imperial page here on BGG - not sure how that works. But in any case, out of these games which ones would you go for if you were a fan of Imperial? (I've removed those from the list I already have or have played before)

Indonesia
Antike
Roads and Boats
Liberté
Age of Steam
Antiquity
Princes of the Renaissance
Phoenicia
The End of the Triumvirate
Byzantium
Vinci
League of Six
Perikles
Leonardo da Vinci
Yspahan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flakybiscuit
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need Chicago Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Banta
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I really liked Indonesia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficult to say. Take two people who profess to like Imperial as much as you do, and it's as likely as not that each of them will point to a different half of the list you provided.

(Or, as a wise geometry teacher one told me, "One dot makes a vector, not.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
flakybiscuit wrote:

Um... no I don't. Bought, played, thought to myself "meh" and sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brumitt
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
flakybiscuit wrote:

Well, what you said you liked about Imperial is one of the best parts of Chicago Express...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest taking a shot at an 18XX game. It is paramount in those games that, although you may run a company (like the governments in Imperial), you must not get personally attached to any company and try to evaluate the big picture, then look for the best investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
houdinimachine wrote:
richiebabes wrote:
flakybiscuit wrote:

Well, what you said you liked about Imperial is one of the best parts of Chicago Express...

Hmm. Well it works in Imperial, not in Chicago Express. I suppose the interest level makes a big difference here that overrides the mechanic. Contrast train games with moving armies and war ships around. No contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Difficult to say. Take two people who profess to like Imperial as much as you do, and it's as likely as not that each of them will point to a different half of the list you provided.

You took geometry from Yoda?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Smartass answer: Imperial 2030

Serious answer: MegaCorps.... maybe..a little.

Right answer: No. Nothing can match Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

You took geometry from Yoda?

Actually, I believe he was Cuban. But he liked to rhyme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, nothing in your list is similar to Imperial. Imperial is rather unique. It has been one of my favorite games in the past and, I feel, the only Mac Gerdts game worth playing.

I would heartily recommend 1830: Railways & Robber Barons. It doesn't have armies, but it may as well have, given the extremely high level of player vs player screwage. It is extremely close in feel to Imperial.

PS: I agree with your feelings on Chicago Express. I will play it if requested, but it feels extremely tame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
They are not terribly similar, but I would try to play Princes of the Renaissance, if you can find someone with a copy. I love Imperial too, and PoTR is, so far, my favorite game.

PoTR is ultimately an investment game as well, as you try and steer Italian city-states to success or failure through devious machinations. Mechanically, it's totally different - basically entirely auctions (don't let that put you off), yet I find it similarly endearing but even a tad more satisfying than Imperial. Imperial is a little bit mechanical, in a good way that appeals to players who like control, while PoTR is more free-form, and encourages more deal-making and bitter, bitter tears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is my favorite game. Of the ones on your list, I've played:
Antike
Byzantium

Antike is similar if you like the mechanics of Imperial. It uses the rondel and the same combat mechanism. However the feel of it is very different. Everyone controls their own country and tries to make that the most powerful. While good, it just isn't as interesting as Imperial.

The End of the Triumvirate feels like Antike, but optimized for three players.

Of the three, Byzantium is closest in feel to Imperial, but not in mechanics. Like Imperial, you are controlling more than one side of a conflict, trying to maneuver to get the most points. However, it also is not as fun as Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Of all of those, probably Antike. Perikles is a close second.

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate Imperial a 10 and of those on your list I've played:

Antike
Liberté
Age of Steam
Antiquity
Vinci
Perikles
Leonardo da Vinci
Yspahan

I'd say the game of those that most 'feels' like Imperial would be Liberte because there are various 'factions' in which you as a player will have varying interest. Perikles might also be interesting to look at. Some of the others are good games but don't feel much like Imperial to me. Three other games you might want to take a look at:

Struggle of Empires - fluid conquest game with changing alliances
Power Struggle - very different, but feels 'nasty' like Imperial
Serenissima (first edition) - nice combination of economics and combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
You may also want to try Manifest Destiny since Age of Renaissance is not available. Also Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is a good fit. The Scepter of Zavandor might also tickle your fancy. I love Imperial, and most of my 9's and 10's are in that exact list of games in your recommendation list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
IMO, ROADS AND BOATS, AGE OF STEAM, and BYZANTIUM are closest to IMPERIAL in that they have complex but understandable mechanics and demand careful planning; of those, BYZANTIUM is closest to the 'no one nation' apsect of Imperial in that each player has to manage an army on both sides and keep them roughly equal in terms of sucess in order to thrive.

TRIUMVIRATE and the others are very cool but pretty straightforward in the regard of having one faction per player all the way through; I don't know that there's anything too similar to that mechanic save Small World, and that's only similar in that you don't stay with one single faction the whole way through but keep adding new ones while the old ones basically 'fade away'.

Oh! There's also Age of Gods, where players control one of 24 different races, only 4 of which they 'favor'. Basically, players keep which factions they 'favor' hidden throughout the game and any player can take control of any faction at any time - if other players know which races you favor, they'll slap them down and cost you points, so you have a strong motive to keep them guessing. It's very cool and very different among wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is my favorite game of all time. And I rate Wallenstein 2nd. It's not on the list but that is my recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is among my favorites. Indonesia is great If you like Imperial I think you will like Indonesia to. However my group has started playing the 18XX games and everyone loves them, needless to say we haven't played Imperial since 18XX. Print out 18AL and give it a shot. Chicago Express flopped big time with my group as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Really, nothing in your list is similar to Imperial. Imperial is rather unique. It has been one of my favorite games in the past and, I feel, the only Mac Gerdts game worth playing.

I would heartily recommend 1830: Railways & Robber Barons. It doesn't have armies, but it may as well have, given the extremely high level of player vs player screwage. It is extremely close in feel to Imperial.

PS: I agree with your feelings on Chicago Express. I will play it if requested, but it feels extremely tame.

AS this, or the one right above this states, 18XX game are something you may want to look into
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Ämmälä
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would recommend Indonesia. The best bet for you.

And of course whole 18xx world.

Greed: Incorporated can do the job also (but I have not enough games to recommend this fully (only one 3-player game).

Other possibilities:

Container (pure economic simulation, almost abstract but quality)
Struggle of Empires (more pure area control game though).

.mikko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Imperial, but I know something of how the game works and can comment on some other games you mention.

Yspahan is a light and very nice 45 min game, but it is no way comparable to Imperial. Phoenicia is a meatier game, but very clunky and mathematical and did not work for me, and I really doubt it would work for you. Antike was extremely boring the one time I played it and I have heard people say that it is not similiar to Imperial, so my advice is you avoid that one. The End of the Triumvirate could be a good choice. This is a pure-bread euro, with extreme balance and very little randomness. I thought it was boring, but I have a feeling I would say that about Imperial as well, so you might want to check that one out. Only for three players though. The other ones I have not tried.

How about Rise of Empires? A meaty game of conquest and civ building. It does not have the aspect of "noone owning a nation" that you mention you enjoy, but the complexity seems to match well. There is also the earlier Struggle of Empires, another good conquest type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Barbosa
Brazil
Joinville
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
I am with everyone. I think 18xx series will be the next step. It's complex and you don't really own a company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I DON'T like Imperial for the reasons that you DO like it, so I prefer Antike if that tells you anything.

Also Leonardo da Vinci is not even close to the same game. Skip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.