Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add the ability to "thumb" the comments section of people's ratings and the ability to sort by thumbs.

Right now, the ratings section of each game is sorted by rating: "10s" first and then decending.

For me, and for many other geeks the most useful part of the ratings section is NOT the numerical ratings that people assign, but rather the comments that they write.

It would be very helpful if the comments could be "thumbed". Then you could sort the ratings by "most thumb comment" which would provide the most useful information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, Do Not Want! I agree completely that one of the most useful sections on the geek is the comments section, but they should stay thumb-free. EVERY comment provides useful information, imho, and I don't want see a popularity contest develop over who can leave the most provocative comments, etc.

As I've said before, the comment section is the only place on the geek where I can say what I want, without the interference of thumbs or geekgold influencing others or me. Leave it be, please. That's my "vote".

Some links to the same suggestion, discussed previously:

No Thumbs For Personal Comments
Grassroots movement...
Thumbs/Tips for Game Comments

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I get after a quick search of the suggestions forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Add the ability to "thumb" the comments section of people's ratings and the ability to sort by thumbs.

Right now, the ratings section of each game is sorted by rating: "10s" first and then decending.

For me, and for many other geeks the most useful part of the ratings section is NOT the numerical ratings that people assign, but rather the comments that they write.

It would be very helpful if the comments could be "thumbed". Then you could sort the ratings by "most thumb comment" which would provide the most useful information.

I used to feel the same way, but then I added a bunch of Geekbuddies, and now I use the "Analyze" option (near the bottom of each game page) to get a summary of the most useful comments for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
fubar awol wrote:

I used to feel the same way, but then I added a bunch of Geekbuddies, and now I use the "Analyze" option (near the bottom of each game page) to get a summary of the most useful comments for a game.

I'm aware of that function and use it. However, there may be someone outside my geekbuddy list whose comment I would benefit from seeing... and scrolling through pages and pages of number-ordered comments is a hassle.

We are just going to have to disagree.

Look, the default order can stay "by rating number" - if you don't like it then you don't have to use the "sort by thumbs" option. I'm not calling for the database to be reordered to my particular preferences.

Why deny it to those of us who want it just becuase you think your opinion is superior?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
As Diane said, this has been proposed and discussed many times in the past. In the "My Fellow Boardgamegeeks" suggestions thread, it was the 5th most popular request (as tracked by [url=http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47555/my-fellow-boardgamegeeks-2009-most-thumbed-entries[/url]my geeklist[/url]).

Quote:
Why deny it to those of us who want it just becuase you think your opinion is superior?

Now that's just unnecessarily contentious. If you read the articles that Diane linked to (especially the first one), you will see many reasonable responses to why folks think you should be "denied" this feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I'm somewhat on the fence on this idea. I wonder if a compromise would be a good solution - add the ability to thumb comments, and the ability to sort comments by thumbs; but hide the total thumb counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:

Expressing an opinion does not in and of itself make that opinion superior or inferior. I linked to previous discussions that illustrated both sides of the argument, as I thought you'd appreciate the chance see what's been said in the past and would also like know that this issue has been raised here several times already, to better understand the comments you'll get.

Speaking for me, only, I don't want to see people post comments in the game section just to "chase thumbs", which is likely to happen if thumbing comments were implemented. I know that for me, personally, if thumbs for comments were implemented, then I'd remove all of my own comments, plus take anything said in that section with a much, much larger grain of salt than I do now. And if you implement thumbs for comments, then you probably have to implement a "reporting" system too, for offensive ones, which cuts both ways. My rating something a "1" might not be what you want to hear, but that doesn't make it an abuse. Same with a 10.

fubar awol wrote:
However, there may be someone outside my geekbuddy list whose comment I would benefit from seeing... and scrolling through pages and pages of number-ordered comments is a hassle.

I'm sure you know this too, but for the benefit of those who do not, if you know the person's name/username, you can go to their profile and click on Board Game Ratings, which will give you an alphabetical list of all the games they've rated plus their comments on those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
I know that for me, personally, if thumbs for comments were implemented, then I'd remove all of my own comments, plus take anything said in that section with a much, much larger grain of salt than I do now.

My thoughts all along exactly. However, I'm not so cynical about the last part; I'm not as afraid that the comments will be getting more biased* than that they will become longer (as they have over the years).

As stated in another thread, I realize that this is likely a minority opinion, but one that needs to be voiced. I also think that BGG is large enough now that the benefits of thumbable comments is so big for so many that it would be perfectly reasonable for BGG admins to decide to implement it.

* For example, for a game like Runewars, the "please thumb me" bias will never come close to the "I need to justify the $100 I dropped on this puppy" bias. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that alternative sorting criteria for comments would be helpful. In particular, it'd be great to have a "representative sample" that would pull somewhere between 1-5 random comments for each rating (so a comment from a 10, from a 9, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
I'm sure there are more, but that's what I get after a quick search of the suggestions forum.
disparate threads on a common topic - Thumbable Personal Game Comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb

I appreciate that comments are a thumb-free area -- every comment has equal weight and is offered without reward. Why ruin that? Does everything on BGG have to be graded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I do not want thumbs in the comments section. I've said so already on one of the other 300 threads about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
EVERY comment provides useful information

Most of the comments on the site are garbage. However, if you wade through them, usually via geekbuddies, some of the best info is available there.

Quote:
I don't want see a popularity contest develop over who can leave the most provocative comments, etc.

I'm with you there. I don't want to see thumbs tied to them either. Permalinks for comments would be awesome though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Why deny it to those of us who want it

Because I don't want your thumbs anywhere near my personal comments. Your "functionality" heavily alters/undermines the feature as it exists and as it has value for me currently.

It is not a simple matter of adding something that improves things for group A without affecting group B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inside threads like this it can be hard to track the overall sentiment trend. This might build a picture over a longer term:

There ought to be a Poll about THUMBING Personal Game Comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that I would not want to see this put in. It would change the comments section potentially in a big way, because many people would write their comments knowing thumbs could be given, thus less negative comments might be written because more than likely the most positive comments would be thumbed by the fans of the game while the negative comments would not be as likely to be thumbed.

I appreciate the comments section as it is now, where people can say what they really think about the game with no outside interference or appraisal in the form of thumbs, and its good to read the comments knowing whether people love or hate the game, that it is an honest opinion. Many games have no negative reviews at all or just one or two but in the comments section many people feel free to have a negative opinion on the game, which is one thing I find quite useful when researching a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Doiron
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God, no. I would hate this. I love the comments just how they are. Quick and easy to read, where people just say what they want without worrying about garnering GG or thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

If I want your feedback (via thumbs or a geek gold tip) I'll write a review or a session report in the game's forum. I've done it, many times.

There are plenty of reviews and session reports you can put your thumbs on. Keep them off my collection comments.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I'll add my opinion here for posterity, and very belatedly too: thumbs are too ambiguous in their meaning to be allowed on the comments; and personally I think comments too fluid in nature to be used in combination with thumbs. However, there is a way out of this predicament: what the OP and many others want is a way to express their appreciation for someone else's prose. Here's a few options:

— Write the commenter a geekmail, telling him you appreciate his or her way of commenting on games, even if you don't always agree with his findings. Speaking from personal experience: for all this talk of comments being important, I have but received one or two such messages in the six years I've been commenting games. I generally consider people to be too lazy to write many of these messages.

— Send geekgold. The system allows for such general expenditures.

— Aldie mentioned in a reply in a similar thread that something known as 'achievements' were on his wishlist. The following is building on such an idea. You could create a special achievement for comments: have other people click one of several designated links in a user's profile indicating that they support the notion that that particular user should receive a (micro)badge or label or whatever for his commenting efforts, preferably with a bit of text explaining why they think this. Sufficient votes raises a flag with the administration, who can then decide whether the notion is warranted or not. This is like a thumb, yes, but much less easily obtained, and much less obtrusive than big thumbing icons beneath every comment.

— I'm sure there are more suggestions, but I'm too tired right now to think of more meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.