Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am wondering since sometimes I don't have people to play with is there a worthy(not to be missed) solitaire board game which is based faithfully or loosely on historical accounts be it as a strategy game or wargame?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any special period of history you enjoy reading about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid on St. Nazaire is a fantastic game!

Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when i had knee surgery i spent months playing Patton's Best just posted a few on sale on sale on ebay, $0.99 and $9.99 can not say enough about game, it really felt like i was in a Sherman tank. other than that i would suggest Field Commander: Alexander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Several excellent choice, the best ones are out-of-print though:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35598/solitaire-war-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrier rules! thumbsup

You can play historical scenarios or use the scenario generator to make your own "what if" battle for the South Pacific in 1942-43. cool

The scenario generator also gives you that fog of war element since you will know the commitment levels of the enemy (like having intelligence about what the enemy has in the area) but you will not know the exact composition of forces until they begin to reveal themselves or you begin to locate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Commander: Alexander- ancient time period
Fields of Fire- WWII, Korea, and Vietnam more complex but very good
RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940- air war over Great Britain during WWII

Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic- covering the Battle of the Falkland islands. Currently out of print, but being reprinted soon.

Mosby's Raiders- out of print, but you can still find copies here on the BGG and on eBay.

All of the above are specific to solitaire play. Another one that has just been released but not based on anything historic is Struggle for the Galactic Empire by Decision Games.

Hope these help out or at least give you a starting point for what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush! might be what you want, it's out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.