Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy P
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the comics I hadn't read until recently was Preacher, which I knew only by its reputation as being a classic and by Kevin Smith's ringing endorsement of it. (And the mention in Free Enterprise.)

I was recently given the first two volumes by a friend who said he had no interest in continuing.

Having now read them myself, I think I see why. It seems like it's being extreme for the sake of being extreme, and at the expense of of the story. I'm not finding the main characters all that interesting, same with the plot, and if there's a theological or philosophical message, it seems burried pretty far down and I'm not sure I want to delve into more of this to find it. (The point of the de Sade thing was...?)

I don't want to judge it too harshly - it can sometimes take a while for title to really hit its stride - but at the same time, I want to put my comics-money into something I'll actually, y'know, enjoy reading.

So - does Preacher get better? Should I keep reading?

Related: Should I give The Boys a try, even if I don't like Preacher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the first 10 issues as they came out, then dropped the title. Like you, I just didn't get the hype.

I was dragged back in by raves from people whose opinions I valued a year or more later, caught up, and discovered that it had evolved into a big, beautiful story, with larger than life characters who I cared about. So, my take is, "stick with it, it grows on you."

Just pretend that the last issue never happened. Nope it ended at issue 75. There is no issue 76. Nope. No. La La La. I can't hear you . . .

FWIW, I ditched The Boys at issue 1 . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love The Preacher. You should quit reading it though. Clearly you aren't enjoying it. Don't waste your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Weapon Brown. If you read Peanuts as a kid, it will be a truly awesome experience. Volume 2 includes more twists on old funny page favorites (Beetle Baily, B.C.)

Quote:
That bald head, that burning desire to kick a football--Think you know who Weapon Brown is? Guess again! He's a walking engine of wishy-washy destruction, and one thing's for sure: you don't want to call him "blockhead" to his face! This 48-page special collects the entire "A Peanut Scorned" serial from issues 1-4 of Deep Fried, with new material added, including a new short story, "A Weapon Brown Christmas." Gritty, hardcore and totally outrageous!!

Quote:
Chuck, the hard bitten, hard hittin' cyborg blockhead of tomorrow returns for a battle royale with one mutant maniac after another torn from the funny pages, with the fate of the future hanging in the balance!

In part one of this two issue mini series, Chuck is hired by the lecherous General Halftraque to retrieve a runaway blonde who holds a chestful of secrets. Little does he know that his old nemesis, the Syndicate, has plans for the girl as well, which sends Weapon Brown on a flight for his life and into the clutches of the slobbering cannibals of B.C.

EDIT: I suppose a LINK would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen, Garth Ennis has two things he does well. One is war comics. The other is what you see in Preacher. And what that thing is is doing stuff to make people go "OMG THAT'S SO WRONG!!!"

I didn't like it when he brought it into his run on Hellblazer (he's why I stopped reading it) and, like you, I never got further than the first trade of Preacher because I have a pretty low tolerance for that kind of crap. As I was reading I was just imagining Ennis giggling at the imagined possibility that I was really being offended and put off by what he was doing. (I was, but not in the way he intended.)

I can pretty much guarantee that if you don't like what you've seen in Preacher so far, nothing further is going to change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petricini
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
As I was reading I was just imagining Ennis giggling at the imagined possibility that I was really being offended and put off by what he was doing. (I was, but not in the way he intended.)

I can pretty much guarantee that if you don't like what you've seen in Preacher so far, nothing further is going to change that.

Ha ha! My thoughts exactly, Lego.

I'll join this chorus and agree with what others have said. I put off reading Preacher for a long time, and when I finally caved and read the first 5 issues or so I could see why some liked it, but it never appealed to me.

Now Umbrella Academy on the other hand....that's a hell of a comic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Preacher is one of my favorites, but like Sisteray says, if you're not digging, don't force yourself to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the OP. For me, at least, this is a badly over-rated comic book that just tries way too hard and basically ruins any cool subject matter or storyline elements involved in the process.

Like some of the others have said in here, if you're disliking it, don't waste anymore time on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how many of you read this series when it was brand new? Would it have changed anybody's minds? How many of you read it when it was brand new and you weren't legally adults? There are timeless comics, and comics that hit you at the right time. The Preacher series was neither of those things for me, but I can certainly see how it would have been for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
temazur
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher is definitely one of my all-time favorite comics. So much in fact that my zippo professes my fangirlishness for it.

If you're truly not enjoying it, don't read. To enjoy Preacher you kind of have to accept that all the characters are bastards in a way. Ennis isn't as shocking as Warren Ellis, but he has his moments. I think the San Fran story arc is almost as bad as it gets.

I did read the series when it was mostly brand new. I picked up the first two compilations and got almost the rest of it in singles. I think it had less to do with the fact that I was young and more to do with the fact that it was one of the first comics I read that wasn't all super-hero, but well drawn with a good story line. I never really got into the xmen/superman/spiderman/batman kind of thing, but found I enjoyed comics like Preacher, not for the shock value, but for the story.

Keep in mind that the only comic that tops my list above Preacher is Transmetropolitan. If you can't enjoy Transmet, you probably won't like Preacher very much, and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher was alright. For the money I rather read some old school The Demon or even The Dark Tower. Preacher tends to go on and on, but not really throwing any new after a while. Then again, I seem to be the only one who didn't think Fables was all that, so my tastes may be touch to crack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked most of the art, but just couldn't get past the dialogue in Preacher. Cheesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not crazy about Warren Ellis, either, who I think is a similar few-tricks pony.

And not only was I not blown away by Fables, Y: The Last Man didn't do anything for me either. The whole Vertigo stable to me is pretty dopey, like at teenager's view of what a "mature" book would be.

I have a budget of about $100/month for comics, but none of them are Marvel and the only DC I regularly get are Silver Age reprints. Here's an idea of the things I do get:
http://www.daveexmachina.com/wordpress/?tag=previews

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what to read last night when I read this post, immediately grabbed Preacher: Gone to Texas, read it for the third time and went to sleep happy.

Thanks for the suggestion!

(As to the content, no one has mentioned the pacing, which is what I think really makes it work. The story structure at the beginning is damn good. I agree with those who think the series should have ended long before it did, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy P
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I figure I'll read through the rest if the opportunity arises, but for now, my comics money will go to other books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
temazur
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a tip: When you're ready to give it a whirl again, check your local library. You're in a decently sized city, and some of the bigger libraries now carry graphic novels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.