D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought after seeing corners of boxes starting to fray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Verstraete
Belgium
Ooike
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but it could work I guess. But much like protected library books, the endresult although protected would not nearly be as natural or good-looking as the unprotected version. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
I have an old copy of "Squatter" that I covered in clear contact as it was in pretty bad shape and needed urgent medical intervention. However 'varnishing' is new to me for protecting an already-printed game box (as varnishing is usaully applied during the printing process). Otherwise clear contact or 'invsible tape' around the entire outer sides (in one long strip) has worked well for me in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
No.

But on a related note, yesterday I was fantasizing about an alternate universe where I'm this really handy crafty woodworking kind of guy, and I make beautiful sturdy custom wooden boxes for my games, typically smaller and more efficient to carry and store than the annoying too large and full of air for marketing reasons boxes that they typically come in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used spray varnish for protecting tiles (micropul) and a small micropul box (only did this yesterday, so I don't know how it'll hold up). Also used it on BattleLore wooden dice and it seems to work well.

Years ago I had a very bad experience with clear contact paper: I covered the paper board for the Divine Right game, rendering it totally un-usable. It wouldn't come near to laying flat. I think I finally just threw out the game (another mistake! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.