Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H. S.
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noted that the playing time is listed on BGG as 4 hrs. Is this really true? I would prefer for a solo game to be in the range of around 90 mins. Is there anybody out there who can give a hint on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing varies widely, but I'd say 90 minutes would be toward the bottom of the range, yes. Of course, multiple sessions at you own convenience are one of the joys of solitaire games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a 90 minute game. My first game was 4 hours (with lots of rules references). My second game was closer to 3.

I'm sure there are people out there who can play it faster, but I don't think you can do it anywhere close to two hours, much less 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, depends how quickly you're... capable of losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
...and it depends how agressive the Argentines are feeling.

I've played games where the first air raids begin on the 1 May, the Fleet Deploys, and they hammer me just about every turn. That leads to a long, (and intense), game.

Other times the hang back until about a week from the landings, and then let me have it. Those games fly by, until Operation Sutton starts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. S.
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. Is it reasonable to break up a game into several sessions, or is the practical aspect of packing it away and retrieving it too cumbersome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
No, counter density is pretty low, it would only take a few moments to record the game situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you note down your action for an AAR, I would say 4-5 hours is reasonnable.
Now you can play much quicker if you print an A4 sized task force map, put it next to you with dice and cards, do record tracking on a piece of paper and know the cards by heart. You miss the use of the beautiful (too large) map.

3 hours is a minimum to get the best out of this game (and you do not lose earlygulp).

nb: I have never played a wargame in 90 minutes...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. S.
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
nb: I have never played a wargame in 90 minutes...

This time limit is obviously set at this value because it is the typical duration of time that I usually devote to solitaire gaming. I can easily play with other people a full day without a break, but alone is a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.