flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This Variant game has 4 phases (instead of 5) that are conducted in sequence:

Phase 1 - Production
Phase 2 - Build, Trade and Use Special Abilities
Phase 3 – Calculate Score
Phase 4 - Discard excess Cubes

"Production", "Calculate Score", and "Discard Excess Cubes" are exactly the same as the original game.

Phase 2 combines "Trade and Use Special Actions" and "Build" into one combined phase.

There are only 2 differences from the original game rules:

1) In Phase 2, Build, Trade and Special Actions may be used repeatedly and in any order until the player has no more actions he wants to do.

2) Also during Phase 2, the special ability of a Bistro may be used immediately after it is built i.e. right away in the same turn.

All other rules remain the same.

CREDITS:
Double D
United States
Morgans Point Resort
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
and his lovely spouse!

Who discovered this variant by misreading the rules and playing the game wrong... to good effect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how this affected the game? Seems like you could get some pretty crazy combos (use publicity to steal a cube, use the cube to get a bistro, run the bistro's special ability to get another cube, use that cube to build a stand, etc).

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Hemme
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 5 games with standard rules I've noticed several things:
In the five games I've played with my son, I tried to built Upscale Bistros that gives bonus and my son won each time buy building the 3 points Upscale Bistro.
My son also won one game without building Upscale Bistro, only making publicity to win 3 points, building every Basic bistros and Diners.
In fact there is 13 points to win in the 3 first columns and building cost are cheaper than the fourth colomn.
Publicity is realy powerful: In fact it cost only two cubes to make publicity because you steal one from your opponent, and it can give you points quickly if you manage to steal once per turn.

So I decided to try the Fast and Furious Variant.
The combo that describe etherton can be done only one time, the time you build the Upscale Bistro.

We also made some modifications concerning building cost in the fourth colomn.
The 3 points Upscale Bistro cost the same, but we reduced the buiding cost of other buildings to 2 wihte cubes, 2 brown cubes and one cube of the color you want.
We played and I noticed that we built 3 Upscale Bistros each during the game while publicity didn't suffer to much of that because I managed to make two points with.
And, I was playing pizza and didn't began the game (reporting to this thread) but was first to build a Diner.

I will try again with this variant, if my son want ! (I ask me to play another game, 7 games of the same game seems to be to much for him...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.