Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on this site the other day and noticed that PR took it's rightful place back on top of the rankings again but then a couple days later Agricola was back on top. Today I'm seeing Agricola on top with a -0.02 difference behind PR and about 5500 less ratings overall. How is this possible? I know I'm being lazy and not actually looking up the "official" geek rating formula and I do see it's a virtual tie, but something about the facts pointed out above just makes this not seem right...

I also don't really like Agricola and don't understand its popularity. To me it's just another worker placement game with cards and animals. I guess the animals make it interesting for some.

Also congrats for Race For the Galaxy on getting it's 10,000 rating today. Not all that many games reach this mark. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish both damn games could be deleted from the database at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola and Puerto Rico: For the Love of God, STOP ASKING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what it would take to get that link posted on the first page of the game ranks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just give them both lifetime achievement awards and retire them from the rankings altogether!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I just wish both damn games could be deleted from the database at this point.

A can of gasoline and a road flare is all it would take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What does it matter? I realize I'm rather new here so perhaps I haven't stumbled upon the epic flame wars that surround who gets the be absolute-number-one-on-the-list or something... but...

Who cares? Declaring something the best-game-ever is so highly subjective and the scope of gaming is so wide... does it really matter that the #1 and #2 games in the ranking list change places frequently? Being in the top ten is an amazing feat as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
What does it matter? I realize I'm rather new here so perhaps I haven't stumbled upon the epic flame wars that surround who gets the be absolute-number-one-on-the-list or something... but...

Who cares? Declaring something the best-game-ever is so highly subjective and the scope of gaming is so wide... does it really matter that the #1 and #2 games in the ranking list change places frequently? Being in the top ten is an amazing feat as it is.

Especially since both are terrible games devil

(exit, pursued by torches & pitchforks)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Shouldn't the number 1 game be Power Grid? Based on the latest geeklist, it beat both PR and Agricola...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:

Torches And Pitchforks? Now there is a truly terrible game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:

With such a level thought process, and well presented arguments, your not going to last long around here.

It's all about GEEKBOY RAGE!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:
Shouldn't the number 1 game be Power Grid? Based on the latest geeklist, it beat both PR and Agricola... devil

It is popular ... but is it great? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Saginaw
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Xlyce wrote:
Shouldn't the number 1 game be Power Grid? Based on the latest geeklist, it beat both PR and Agricola... devil

It is popular ... but is it great? whistle

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What this site really needs is sexy girls holding boxes that contain cats, babies, more Space Hulk miniatures, and little stuffed creatures that talk to each other about the ratings war between Puerto Rico and Agricola.

Seriously, as long as you can get to the stuff you do like on this site, why do people keep going back to the stuff they do NOT like?

Who the hell cares what people do NOT like. Let the others around you like what they like, and you like what you like.

Unless eveyone would like this site just being a static database with publisher marketinig photos of each game.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
What this site really needs is sexy girls holding boxes that contain cats, babies, more Space Hulk miniatures, and little stuffed creatures that talk to each other about the ratings war between Puerto Rico and Agricola.

Quick! Let's start an EPYC game based on this sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:

AMEN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:

I can't comment on that, I haven't played either although Puerto Rico is on my list. It can't be a terrible game with the amount of ranking it has achieved and what great lengths people will apparently go to in arguing over it.

sloan66 wrote:

With such a level thought process, and well presented arguments, your not going to last long around here.

It's all about GEEKBOY RAGE!!!!

Oh I might be new to this forum and to the more involved boardgames that get debated over here... but trivial arguments are old hat to me. You kids have nothing on the .45 vs. 9mm debates. No sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like Agricola more than Puerto Rico, just much more fun (for me).

The issue with the ranking could be solved as a draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So anyway, which should be first Agricola or PR? Oh and by the way, which should be the best game ever Agricola or PR?

On a side note, perhaps there should be a more accessible and analytical "Hotlist" link that shows the hottest games list at the moment and some stats as to why. Then there could be less emphasis on the overall rankings list. Maybe there should be more accessible links for three or four separate categories for best games according to weight or something. I understand you can run a search for these things but would it redirect attention away from the overall rankings maybe? If you want people to stop asking then put some emphasis in other areas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't really understand why this topic comes up so often.

sputnikam wrote:
I also don't really like Agricola and don't understand its popularity.

Oh, wait. Now it all becomes clear. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the solution is clearly to rank them both #1 and list them in alphabetical order within #1.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

hehehe. I hate Agricola but it's still such an evilly nice suggestion I couldn't help myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please remember that the vast majority of users on this site DON'T GIVE A FLYING #^*& ABOUT WHAT RANK THOSE TWO GAMES ARE IN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Carey
United States
Plymouth
Indiana
flag msg tools
Why are you looking at me? Go play something!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bunch of haters.

let's talk about the game u love. Because only you matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget that, let's talk about games rather than arbitary numbers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.