Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't meant to be playing Small World. Mark had set the game up and was teaching it to four other people. I was meant to be eating my lunch. (Chicken... mmm...) However, Mark got called away to serve a customer, so he asked me to take his turn.

Mark's copy of the game has three expansions, so I had my first chance to play with some new cards. Fortified Priestesses was my pick - and very soon they were sitting in their Fortified Ivory Tower on a mountain - five of them. That gave me a nice useful burst for the next few turns of scoring whilst around me, the carnage went on.

I made very sure that I took the Dragon-Master Giants next, so that my Ivory Tower wouldn't go down. Elsewhere, it was the Tritons in full swing, with Josh gaining entirely too many points from them. Once they went into decline, no-one attacked them for a couple of turns, allowing Josh to announce a couple of times that he was gaining "15 points" from his two races. Urgh - I was now getting 13, with my Giants having overrun a lot of trolls, helped massively by their Dragons.

Mark was now dealing with a number of phone calls and more customers. I occasionally disappeared back to another table to take another couple of bites of chicken, but it was becoming obvious I was playing this game rather than Mark.

A couple of halfling holes in the middle of the board managed to cut off the north from the south, so my Giants were safe from incursion from below... especially after everyone finally woke up to the problem that Josh was becoming and went after him. Thankfully, he was at the far corner away from me. Three turns from the end, and I chose not to move at all and just gain my points. Was this a good move? I don't know.

The peaceloving skeletons (yes, one of the worst combinations I can think of) were finally taken with about 7-8 coins on them. I was now ready to send the giants into decline, and, to my great delight, someone actually attacked the Priestesses in their Ivory Tower! Hooray! I now had no problem with going into decline and choosing the Ratmen for my final turn - taking a lot of very empty provinces.

Josh had the very final turn, and went with the Amazons, and gained quite a few points thereby.

So this game (which was 5-player, and mainly with people I don't know, so - alas - no names!) came to an end. The final scoring found Josh and me in the lead on 81 points each. Into the rulebook... tiebreaker is based on tokens on the board. A-ha! My Ratmen (and remaining Giants) were more numerous than Josh's Amazons (and a lone goblin). I just took the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the ratmen...it dovetails nicely into my Skaven fetish. As soon as they are shown everyone knows I'll be aiming for them as first chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
For the record. Peaceloving skeletons can wreak havoc on in decline races, they get extra men and still the 3 VP bonus, I've won a 5 man game with that combo before, so many in decline races to choose from without losing the peaceloving bonus, it's like alchemist only better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.