John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first off, I think this game looks like fun, and I've already got it on reserve with my FLGS.

But, after reading the rules and looking over the components, it bugs me that of the six possible motives available for the crime, one of them is "Unknown." The whole point of deducing a fact is that it is no longer "unknown."

Yeah, yeah, I know it's just the equivalent of flavor text in a game that is more focused on mechanics, but it's basically like saying, "I know the real reason the murder was committed, and that reason is -- that I don't know."

("Insanity" seems like it would have been a better option.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
OK, first off, I think this game looks like fun, and I've already got it on reserve with my FLGS.

But, after reading the rules and looking over the components, it bugs me that of the six possible motives available for the crime, one of them is "Unknown." The whole point of deducing a fact is that it is no longer "unknown."

Yeah, yeah, I know it's just the equivalent of flavor text in a game that is more focused on mechanics, but it's basically like saying, "I know the real reason the murder was committed, and that reason is -- that I don't know."

("Insanity" seems like it would have been a better option.)

Well motive is one thing that doesn't necessarily have to be proven... if the evidence all points to someone, you can convict, even if you don't know exactly why they did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Clapacs
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Maybe you could cross it out and change it to "just to watch him die."devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it means that the killer didn't have a motive. Maybe it was accidental =)
They could have come up with a better word but I suppose it doesn't do any good to complain now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
But, after reading the rules and looking over the components, it bugs me that of the six possible motives available for the crime, one of them is "Unknown."

I agree. I hadn't bothered to look before but does seem rather unsatisfactory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RileyRabbit wrote:
Maybe you could cross it out and change it to "just to watch him die."devil

The man in black, in Reno, with a gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wuld suggest not letting a murderer go free just because you cannot figure out why he did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the sounds of it, you don't actually even "solve" the murder most times.

It's just whoever got closest (I had Where, Why, and When, you only had Who and Why, I win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe its just to inspire the imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The complaint is not that you don't know the motive. It's that you've determined the motive to be unknown, which is plain silly, if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
referee wrote:
The complaint is not that you don't know the motive. It's that you've determined the motive to be unknown, which is plain silly, if you ask me.

Silly, maybe. But of all the Motive cards, our group of players liked the art on the "Unknown" card best. It's such a cool looking mask! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
referee wrote:

Could be the same as "unknowable" in that the motive is insanity or some other unfathomable mental state. Sometimes people just kill folks for the sake of killing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.