Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

A Brief History of the World» Forums » Rules

Subject: What if your fleet isn't adjacent to your start land? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In epoch 6 of our first game, one player was the Qing Dynasty with a start land in Yellow River and a fleet in the South China Sea. However, he had other empires lying between the sea and the region.

The rules imply that he can extend from either the sea or the start land: "You expand your empire by taking one army at a time from the Array and placing it in any land adjacent to either an active army or a fleet" (page 5). But it feels weird to me to just pop over the other regions. My intuition from other versions is that players have to fight to the seas to use the fleet. Any clarifications or feedback?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading of the rule/situation: you can use the fleet IF you can get to it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
My reading of the rule/situation: you can use the fleet IF you can get to it.
This is how it was in the older editions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought the rule should be you can only use a fleet next to an active unit but it doesn't seem to be in the rules that I can find. We played yesterday and someone had a event card (I think it was called Astronomy) that gave a fleet anywhere you don't already have a fleet. If you don't have to be adjacent you can use it to pop in anywhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
I would have thought the rule should be you can only use a fleet next to an active unit but it doesn't seem to be in the rules that I can find. We played yesterday and someone had a event card (I think it was called Astronomy) that gave a fleet anywhere you don't already have a fleet. If you don't have to be adjacent you can use it to pop in anywhere.


I think you misunderstood me - you can use a fleet IF you can get an active unit next to the sea where it is located.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
I would have thought the rule should be you can only use a fleet next to an active unit but it doesn't seem to be in the rules that I can find. We played yesterday and someone had a event card (I think it was called Astronomy) that gave a fleet anywhere you don't already have a fleet. If you don't have to be adjacent you can use it to pop in anywhere.


I think you misunderstood me - you can use a fleet IF you can get an active unit next to the sea where it is located.


I understood that is what you are saying. However as Mark Schlatter correctly stated all the rules say is you may expand "in any land adjacent to either an active army or a fleet". When the issue came up last night which sent me looking through the forum the group decided to play it as written and allow the fleet to be placed anywhere and the empire to expand from that Ocean even though he was not on the coast at all. No offense but this post is not going to change their minds.

Marks original question was a rather small issue as it was not hard for his empire to get to the coast, would have cost him 1 army I believe so either way of playing is not huge change on the game. The Astronomy card letting a empire teleport anywhere on the board is potentially a huge number of points in the right circumstances.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Marks original question was a rather small issue as it was not hard for his empire to get to the coast, would have cost him 1 army I believe so either way of playing is not huge change on the game. The Astronomy card letting a empire teleport anywhere on the board is potentially a huge number of points in the right circumstances.


Actually, the issue is bigger than that. Since the land between my start region and the sea was occupied, I would have had to attack. Thus, the potential cost is more than one army. Since I was in the lead at the time (and thus getting sucky empires ), that potential cost was a big deal.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
Marks original question was a rather small issue as it was not hard for his empire to get to the coast, would have cost him 1 army I believe so either way of playing is not huge change on the game. The Astronomy card letting a empire teleport anywhere on the board is potentially a huge number of points in the right circumstances.


Actually, the issue is bigger than that. Since the land between my start region and the sea was occupied, I would have had to attack. Thus, the potential cost is more than one army. Since I was in the lead at the time (and thus getting sucky empires ), that potential cost was a big deal.


Sorry, I misread, for some reason I thought the issue was it was occupied by your past civilization not an opponent, but regardless it was 1 space correct?

With Astronomy the Huns could storm from outer Mongolia and invade North Africa, the Americas and Western Europe. Just seems wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Marks original question was a rather small issue as it was not hard for his empire to get to the coast, would have cost him 1 army I believe so either way of playing is not huge change on the game. The Astronomy card letting a empire teleport anywhere on the board is potentially a huge number of points in the right circumstances.


Here's my problem - as the time frame of the game is pre-teleportation, in what way thematically does that reading of the Astronomy card make any sense?

The only way someone could seriously argue this is if they slip into "Rules Lawyer" mode.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:

Here's my problem - as the time frame of the game is pre-teleportation, in what way thematically does that reading of the Astronomy card make any sense?

The only way someone could seriously argue this is if they slip into "Rules Lawyer" mode.


The Huns launched an expeditionary down the Yangtze, despite being designed for river travel their advanced boats and their almost mystic knowledge of celestial navigation allowed them to cross the pacific and crash into the California coast. There this rag tag bands of Huns with their advanced technology integrated with then dominated the indigenous population and ruled a glorious empire of the Americas for 1000 years until they were wiped out by small pox which they had loss their immunity too just prior to the arrival of Europeans in California.

This game is abstract enough to justify just about anything you want thematically.

I believe the reason my appeal to theme failed is it then requires a new rule,
the text on astronomy seems pretty clear you can place the fleet anywhere so then you need a rule for invading something to the effect you can attack from anywhere adjacent to a existing unit or a fleet which is connected by a string of other fleets to a unit adjacent to the coast. I believe I lost them at string of fleets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.