Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a pirate-themed game for my middle school game club that could be played in less than 2 hrs--maybe less than one hour. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot plays in 30 minutes tops, is very playable by middle schoolers, and has a pirate theme. It's a pretty thin theme, but there are merchant ships full of gold, and the pirate with the strongest fleet of attacker ships on a given merchant gets to take it and keep the gold. It might work. My daughter and her cousins all enjoy it (and so do I).

Edit: And it's currently in print from Gamewright, so it's easy to get and cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
I like Pirate's Cove. However, we lent it to friends while we lived overseas for a year and they were incapable of playing it. Seems simple enough to me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Horner
United Kingdom
Forres
Moray
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second pirates cove, we have great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica - It's a Pirate Racing game. Great art and plays in the amount of time you're requesting. Also it's really easy to teach and our middle schoolers have loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pirate's Cove is good... looks pretty, fairly easy, though is a bit abstract in a way.

Loot, to me, is boring. And the colors scheme on the cards really suck: half the time you'll be trying to figure out if a card is purple, or blue. No, it's purple, I mean blue...

If you're up for building a print-n-play game, give Scallywags a look. It's pretty easy to build, and it's fun, fast, and easy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena! OK, the theme is pretty thin here, but it's quick and should be pretty easy for kids to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dread Pirate: Buccaneer's Revenge? It's a revamp of the original that makes it more playable. And yes, the players can fight each other!

If they weren't so fragile, and if arguments might not break out over who gets what ship, I would recommend Pirates of the Spanish Main; these days you can grab a lot of ships on ebay for very little. And they're just fun to build, let alone play with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Pirate's Cove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could always go with Winds of Plunder. It's not too hard to pick up and plays in about an hour, hour and a half maybe at first, though it might be good to print out player aids; it may break your complexity rating but it feels fun to play and the screwage feels very piratey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Pirate King is a good Pirate themed game too. It has a roll and move mechanic (which may feel familiar to young gamers) and is an easy game to teach. Good Luck! I'd like to hear how it goes. I teach a board game class to 4-6th graders during the summer. Always like to hear about the experiences of other teachers who use board games at school.

-Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the suggestions. If anyone wants to give a second or third vote to any of the games mentioned, please do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Jamaica - It's a Pirate Racing game. Great art and plays in the amount of time you're requesting. Also it's really easy to teach and our middle schoolers have loved it.

Perfect suggestion! Easy to learn, plays quickly, handles up to 6 players, fantastic components, and, most importantly, is fun!

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Franks
United Kingdom
St Blazey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buccaneer
Nice push your luck and bidding for the booty game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.