Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep wavering back and forth if I should buy Santiago or not. I want a game like it: cut-throat, plays in a hour (roughly), no trading, lots of player interaction, has a bit of a business/serious feel to it. We seem to like bidding/auction games too. Catan would be close but the trading drives me nuts (I hate watching lobsided trades). Lifeboats is close but I'd rather something a bit more serious.

What games are close to Santiago and play well with four that might interest me? Santiago apparently excels with 5 and I rarely have 5 gamers togethers or I'd have bought it already. Sure it probably plays well enough with 4 but I'd rather see if there is something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gheos or Sunken City might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on everything you say you like about the idea of Santiago I would recommend Chicago Express. It plays easily in an hour, and is very cut throat. It has a similar shifting alliances thing to Santiago, and also has auctions. It is best with four players, but also works with three.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboat

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express looks good but just a bit more involved than I was looking for (my group likes simpler games). Lifeboat I would buy but it doesn't seem to be for sale. Not entirely sure it would be a hit but for a low price I would try it.

Intrigue is looking more and more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Shadow of the Emperor

Four player. Zero luck. Richly themed. Cut-throat.

We love Santiago, but Shadow is one of our favourites too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Moai it is quite cut throat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinners' Trail
Steel Driver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spikes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago plays well with four. If the only thing stopping you from buying it is that it excels with five, know that it is still a great game with four, and well worth purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delinquent wrote:
Santiago plays well with four. If the only thing stopping you from buying it is that it excels with five, know that it is still a great game with four, and well worth purchasing.

I agree 100%. We've played it with 4 a number of times and have had a great time every time. If you want this game, buy it. Plays great, and quickly with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domaine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdoms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Aquädukt,Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, Amun-Re, and Chang Cheng are all along the lines of SANTIAGO in one way or another (building/development oriented, no trading, several different types of strategy involved, average hour or less playtime); you should also check out Cuba, which plays a lot like a more interactive variant of PUERTO RICO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Cutthroat Caverns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Phoenicia. Absolutely cutthroat, lots of bidding, and a strong business feel as you employ workers at various trades. The player interaction comes in the bidding process, but this is a cruel game where you have many opportunities to ruin one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract but can be really brutal with any amount of players

Reef Encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.