Subject: Rumor has it that Upper Deck and Blizzard are done rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither side appears to have made any official statements, but the rumor is that Bliz will not be renewing its license with Upper Deck.

Furthermore it appears that the next three sets that Uppder Deck has designed for the minis game will not be released (I'm assuming that included Onyxia).

If Bliz sells the rights of the TCG to someone else (like WotC) then we can only hope that they'll do the same with the minis game as well.

Upper Deck has continually said that the 3rd set will be released in 2010 (March was kinda the assumption) and the minis website still shows a 2010 release date on the calendar. UD is notoriously bad about updating the website, so who knows when we'll hear anything official from them.

This is really such a great game. I hope that Bliz can find another company to continue with additional releases (FFG please).

Edit: Forgot to add the link to the forums where I read it.
http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/community/forums/1901...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Marshall
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blizzard did make a statement on their forums about the change of partners for the TCG here,

Quote:

Quote:
As some of you may already be aware, we will not be renewing the World of Warcraft: The Trading Card Game license with Upper Deck. We want to assure you that we are committed to supporting the TCG, and players can look forward to new content and strong organized play support in the near future. We will share additional details about the game’s transition to a new partner as soon as possible. For those awaiting tournament prizes, we will ensure you receive them.

Emphasis mine. As you can see, it is not being abandoned and will continue to exist. yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
UDE really dropped the ball with the Minis game. Hopefully Souls of Vengeance lands somewhere else. The official Blizzard word so far is about the TCG being resurrected elsewhere, but not the minis game.

Here's UDE bowing out:

Quote:
Over the past few months there has been much speculation about the future of the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game and Miniatures Game and due to ongoing discussions, we haven’t been able to provide any clear answers until now.

After long and careful deliberation, Upper Deck International (UDI) will not be renewing its World of Warcraft license agreements with Blizzard Entertainment. We’ve had a fantastic time working on the World of Warcraft brand and feel we have produced some of the most compelling TCG and Miniatures Game products since the turn of the century. Unfortunately, due to gradually declining sales over the past few years and the overall downturn in the economic climate, we have had to make the tough decision to discontinue our World of Warcraft product lines.

UDI World of Warcraft products will be available until the end of March. Upcoming products such as the Class Starter Deck, Wrathgate Booster, Souls of Vengeance Starter, Deluxe Starter and Booster will not go into production.

We know this is disappointing news for all World of Warcraft fans and want to thank players and retailers for their ongoing support over the years.
Being part of such a great and passionate community has truly been a privilege.

We are currently working with Blizzard Entertainment to facilitate a smooth transition as they work on their own plans for a World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
Further announcements on this transition will follow over the coming weeks.

We will be pulling out all the stops to send off the UDI World of Warcraft lines in style. Look out for special events at your local gaming store with some of the greatest prize support ever and a final opportunity to complete your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.

Well I just came by to see the state of play with the WOW minis. With Star Wars being cancelled I thoughtI'd check out other games. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that blizz has said what the TCG is doing, have there been any updates regarding the Miniatures Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official website is gone, so I can easily see that the game is pretty much dead. Any news about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.