Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently won a copy of the game, and I was wondering which rules set would be best to use. I am leaning towards the ties equal each side loses a unit, rather than the reroll. What do others think? Im not to aware of how the event cards that come with this set would affect other factors in the game. So any input would be appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play where ties are a loss for both sides as well. Unsure of what you are asking in regards to event cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
I recently won a copy of the game, and I was wondering which rules set would be best to use. I am leaning towards the ties equal each side loses a unit, rather than the reroll. What do others think? Im not to aware of how the event cards that come with this set would affect other factors in the game. So any input would be appreciated

Owning both versions of the game and having played both quite a bit, I vastly prefer the newer (Hasbro) edition and its rules. The "ties-kill-everybody" rule sets up some interesting situations, such as emptying out a capital with your last army thus leaving it as easy pickings for the next empire to come along...

The newer rules makes navigating easier; you don't waste time and energy trying to win the rights to sea zones that you're already supposed to be able to navigate.

The new event cards are also much better. For one thing, opponents can't figure out which events you've got left to play by simply looking at the colors of your remaining event cards! "Well, he can't play Treachery on me because he's used up his blue event card..." For another, the cards are worded a bit more clearly, probably because they're bigger cards and have more space for text.

Finally, the cool plastic bits of the new version are much easier to handle than the flat counters of the old version. Go for the new rules; in this case, "new and improved" is really true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are numerous detail-level differences between the older AH edition and the Hasbro/AH version. The way "pick order" is determined, how many units can occupy an area, the combat (already mentioned), how the event cards are organized, down to how the game begins, are all different. The map boards while essentially the same in function look quite different - folks who are sometimes confused at how ocean navigation works in the newest edition would find a lot of that would be dispelled if they saw the older map. The number of armies for most factions has been scaled downward (and re-balanced in some instances), to compensate for not having to "fight" your way into sea areas (which once were also worth victory points). That's just for starters - we could start a new thread on all the differences.

That said, if you stand back far enough, the game is still pretty much the same. Folks who have played both will have their favorite - usually the one they learned on and played the most. I don't think the community considered the older version broken or even bent. I think, however, that the reprint was intended to make the game a bit more accessible and perhaps a bit shorter. But there's nothing really wrong with the new version either - totally a question of personal preference. Play the version you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off thanks for the feedback. I have read both sets of rules but haven't got the game to the table yet. I was thinking that the newer version combat rules would speed things up a bit and simply sleeving the cards and seperating them into the minor/major categories would solve the color coding issue. Thanks again,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.