9 Posts

Campaign Manager 2008» Forums » General

Subject: Components idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hearing complaints that the scoring is quite unpractical, which is a shame because it's cool to see how the bars approach 270.

I thought of an idea, but maybe it would be impossible or too expensive to produce. However, if it works, it would fix all the issues of the bars being nudged off and it would also look super cool, so I'm telling and you guys say what you think.

What if the scoring track was magnetic? Little metal bars, still as they're now, red on one side, blue on the other, and different sizes. They are snapped into the board and we get to see "The Race to 270".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just add the points on a piece of paper...........simple solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know a simple solution is adding the points on paper. The point is that the visceral experience of watching the score track adds something to the game and is worth improving upon. While magnets are a decent idea, I think a board with the score paths "dug out" so you can put the score chits in and slide them to the edge would be perfect. If you're familiar with Tiki Topple you know what I'm talking about. If you're not familiar with it and you're not grasping the concept, check out Tom Vasel's video review of Tiki Topple and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: Skip ahead to 1:40 to see what I mean and then 2:30 to see the slide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're finding the existing scoring markers work great. They only need to be an approximation, so you can watch the "back and forth" as the election progresses. Most games it's very obvious when one person finishes for the win, though sometimes it's close. In either case, that's when you pause and count.

McCain needs 115 to win, Obama needs 113. Whoever wins will likely have a small amount over what they need.

It's easy enough to count your winning states, and it shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 seconds to do it. Just add all the 10's columns on each state tile first, which will bring you to about 90 or 100, then go through a second time, adding on the one's column digits. I'm not a big number crunching kind of guy, and this works very easily for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tiki Topple solution seems also a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not related to the above (well, I guess it is a components idea for Campaign Manager), I'm thinking of two laminated sheets listing all of the possible Demographics. Use a dry erase marker to keep track of the opponent's Demographic cards.

Makes thematic sense that Obama's campaign manager would remember that John McCain appeared on The View. But it could get jumbled if you play two or three or four games in a row.

YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping track by writing demographic stuff down would slow the game down way too much.

I use the BGG scoresheets and they work just fine I color the boxes in with a colored Sharpie and leave one in the middel of each state electoral votes blank to write the state down.and the order it was captured in. It goves a quick history of the games flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
I think a board with the score paths "dug out" so you can put the score chits in and slide them to the edge would be perfect.

and here is how to do it:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/672788/campaign-manager-2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The other night we used a cribbage board, which worked quite well and gave the visual feel of a race. But we discussed doing something very much like Frank came up with. Looks good, I'll have to make one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.