Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello I have a rules question I was hoping someone could help me with. If two players both choose Consume/2xVP for their end turn action and the VP chip pool is low how are they divided among the players?

The rules say that in timing issues the players resolve their actions clockwise from the player with the lowest starting world number.

So if I was owed 6 VP chips and I collect them leaving the pool empty what happens to the say 12 VP chips that my opponent was owed for her Consume/2xVP?

Can she add these uncollected but earned VP's to her total?

Hmmmmm ; )

thanks a lot for any clarification on this,

-Peter Mobius, Boardgamegeek newbie who is psyched to have recently roped a partner in for RATG!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All players should get all the VPs they deserve for consuming. If there aren't enough chips remaining in the pile, make change with the large 10 VP chips (or just dump the rest of the unused chips in the center of the table ... but be sure to remember that the game would end after that round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The victory point (chips) are unlimited. The only 'limit' is the number of chips collected by the players before ending the game; 12 per player. Thus players can continue to collect victory chips above the 12 per player threshold until the end of the turn. I guess if you actually run out of chips then use pennies or beads or write the points down.

Read the RFTG rulebook section 'GAME END' on page 7 where this question is answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
This seems to be a very common misconception. I've had (different) games where people would remark that

"Don't worry, He can't do another one of those since there aren't enough chips left"

or
"I'll be taking the last few so you won't get any"

at which point I'd tell them they were wrong and explain that the "12 per player" is nothing more than a timer/counter and has no bearing on how many points once can actually get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
This seems to be a very common misconception.

I find problems like this arise in games where more players are taught the game by others than by actually reading the rules. The VP chip usage is clearly explained in the rules but RFTG is a game like Monopoly or Risk where many players, once taught, never crack open the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
The victory point (chips) are unlimited. The only 'limit' is the number of chips collected by the players before ending the game; 12 per player. Thus players can continue to collect victory chips above the 12 per player threshold until the end of the turn. I guess if you actually run out of chips then use pennies or beads or write the points down.

allstar64 wrote:
... the "12 per player" is nothing more than a timer/counter and has no bearing on how many points once can actually get.

The two quotes above seem quite misleading to me, especially the statement '12 per player'.

Just to clarify, you start the game with the number of VP chips equal to number of players multiplied by 12. The game will end at the end of the turn when all VP chips are consumed (or when someone has 12 cards on their tableau). If there are less than the required amount of VP chips on the table, everybody still gets his/her required amount from the extra VP chips, and then the game will end at the end of that round.

Any given player can earn as many VP chips as he/she can consume, as long as the game hasn't ended by either of the 2 conditions. There is no '12 per player threshold' of any sort. Thus, at the end of the game, the total VP chips collected by all players can potentially be more than the amount that you started with. In your example, yes, you'd get the 6 VP chips and your opponent would get her 12 VP chips and the game would end at the end of that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JW clarified what I wanted to clarify so here's an example.

In a 2 player game you put 24 chips out. Let's pretend my wife is going military and doesn't get a SINGLE chip. I'm going produce consume.

If I have 23 chips and then play consume and are supposed to get 8 more. I can. I make change, pull out the other unused chips etc. I end up with my 31 chips. Because 24 chips HAVE BEEN USED (given to me and/or my wife in any combination) the game is over at the end of this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always put out a few of the '10' chips and clearly state that if these (the 1s and 5s) are depleted, it triggers the end of the game, but those (the 10s) are available for overflow if people consume more than these (the 1s and the 5s) the turn the game end is triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, Thank You all for the quick clarification on this. I am new to the game and taught myself over a full day of playing three way games against myself. Man what a headache at the end of that day but what a relief when it all finally clicked. As I'm sure is common with most first coming to this game, really understanding the Consume phase was the last and hardest hurdle. The idea that any commodity can be consumed through any of your cards not just the one that produced it. Yes I know this is 'clear' in the rules but still to actually plug your way through it with no one teaching you is another story. So thanks again to all in this wonderful community for a helping hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.