Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so the game does peek my interest, but what if i buy it, love it, and play it to bits. I will eventually and actually rather fast run out of those paper deduction sheets. I usually don't like expendable resources like that in a boardgame. Will i be able to buy more? Or will i simply eventually be forced into making my own?

If so, the game could probably have gone with that approach from the start. "It is handy to keep your notes and information written down on a peice of paper" - style.
Or, maybe another way of keeping track of the info in a more permanent way. Off the top of my head, a board with colored pins you keep out of sigh from you opponents, abit mastermind inspired, or perhaps even a metal sheet, with small colored magnets or something.

i dont even like using my agricola scorepads,... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Or use a photocopier.

Or laminate some sheets and use erasable marker pens.

Or don't laminate and use pencils and erasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
DoW sells (or at least they used to sell) extra sheets for Mystery of the Abbey. To make sure I never run out I bought an extra two books for $10. However, after owning MotA for 4 years or so, I haven't finished the book that came with the game yet, and that's a game that I really do like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply print them out from the PDF-file on the publisher's website.
If you don't have a printer, I am sure you know someone who has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laminating and using marker pens is a nice way to produce re-usable sheets.
Printing out your own sheets is a simple matter too though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
DoW sells (or at least they used to sell) extra sheets for Mystery of the Abbey. To make sure I never run out I bought an extra two books for $10. However, after owning MotA for 4 years or so, I haven't finished the book that came with the game yet, and that's a game that I really do like.

Given that Days of Wonder is the publisher, I'm less concerned about a consumable game component. I also picked up an extra packet, as MotA is my wife's favorite game.

We got a looooooong way to go before we run out of those sheets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of about 3 weeks ago, DoW still had extra pads for Mystery of the Abbey for sale. I think they were approx. $5 for 100 sheets or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if they just provided a PDF on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:

Their publishing history tells us that they WILL do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, there are two pads that come with the game -- the deduction pads, as well as the telegram pads that you use in the next-to-last round.

As several here have mentioned, for the deduction pads, you can just take some existing sheets and laminate them (or stick them in some sort of clear paper-protector) and then use dry-erase markers.

That probably wouldn't work for the telegram sheets since you have to fold those over and/or keep them face down (either of which would probably smudge the dry-erase ink). However, as far as I can tell, there are no special, pre-printed fields on the telegram pads, so even regular, boring scrap paper would probably suffice. (Or you could just photo-copy one of the telegram pads that comes with the game).

I do think the sheets seem rather limited. I can't remember how many telegram sheets come in a pad, but I believe there are only 100 deduction sheets. That means you've only got 20 five-player games before you are out... which doesn't seem like a lot to me! (The deduction sheets appear to be designed so that each player totally uses up one per game, instead of being able to use one sheet for multiple games like you can in other games -- Clue, for instance.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
ekimmel wrote:

Their publishing history tells us that they WILL do that.

What Mik said.

Eric @ DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The telegrams look like they will be easy to photocopy and not lose any detail or info....they are basically just fancy scrap paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the sheets are up: german french and english deduction sheets plus the telegram. i updated the "rules at DoW" link, as it is there for download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I finally bought this game recently, and it didn't come with ANY notepad...one of those weird oversights I guess...I had a similar issue with a lot of parts missing from Memoir 44 years ago.

I have had to print them as needed from a file provided by a friend. I'm going to ask DofW for the missing part, but even then I'm still a bit surprised at there only being 100 single-sided sheets....seems like it should have been double sided and at least twice as thick. With 4-5 players per game a pad will only last 20-25 games! I may go the lamination route once I get my official notepad.

The telegrams I am not concerned about in the least....an overly extravagant game component as they are nothing more than decorated scratch pads...there are literally NO fields to fill out, just a fancy telegram design on a slip of paper. I know DofW is famous for its high-quality components but this game goes above and beyond...the telegrams are a bit over the top, as are the three-dimensional playing pieces to represent the train, baggage, and first player marker. Heck, even the little player and conductor busts seem a bit extravagant for no discernible gameplay benefit or thematic bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game very much, but it does go down as one of the only games I have ever complained about the components being TOO nice! If I had my way I would have swapped out the train/whistle/baggage/conductor/player pieces for simple tokens, gotten rid of the telegrams altogether, and used the savings to replace the investigation pad with a peg or magnet system as someone suggests above. Something "Mastermind" like would be lovely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.