Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I won the game playing as the Free People today and to make it even more special, I won with a ring victory. Not only is it the first time I have achieved it, it is the first time I have seen it happen.

The evil Shadow player started off by assuming the weight of the ring would eventually corrupt the ring bearer and focused his efforts on military domination, only putting one die, if any into the hunt box for several turns. The free people were also suffering, as the action dice just weren't rolling my way. I'd get nothing but event or character actions for several turns and was unable to advance on the political tract. I was hesitant to use the Elvish rings but eventually, I had to give them a shot.

As the Shadow player waged an all out military campaign, toppling Minas Tirith in short order, the Ring Bearer made his way east. The ring was heavier than it appeared and they gained some corruption. Fortunately, they were able to continually outwit the pursuing ring wraith who was failing his hunts. As the ring bearer made his way closer to Mordor, the Shadow player started dedicating more resources to hunt the ring, slowing down his military forces. Gondor forces were able to hold off Sauron's attack on Dol Amroth and the elves were able to hold the Shadow at bay during its continued siege on Lorien.

As the ring bearer approached Mordor from the north, the Shadow player, in desperation, was able to cause an event that rendered Gimli, a long time member of the fellowship, to lose his life in protection of the ring bearer. Strider, also met an untimely death. As the ring bearer struggled up the slope of Mt. Doom, the Shadow continued to wage its war on the free people in a final attempt to claim victory. The Shire and Gray Havens fell to the Shadow. The shadow finally took Dol Amroth and Dale. All he needed was to successfully conclude his siege at Lorien or Helm's Deep and victory would be is.

As the ring bearer ascended Mt. Doom, they discarded Gandalf's staff to prevent a hunt tile from being drawn. They were also able to turn a couple of events to their advantage to heal some corruption. As the ring bearer reached the summit of Mt. Doom and prepared to toss the ring to the lava below, ending Sauron's reign forever, the Shadow player, drew one last tile from the hunt pool only to reveal Smeagol as the guide of the Fellowship. As the ring dropped into the lava flow below, the Shadow player let out an unearthly cry as a near victory escaped his grasp forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you keep Gandalf and Strider with the fellowship the whole time? Personally, I'd have taken Gandalf as a casualty and sent Strider to Gondor, letting you get dice #5 and #6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Galadrial in play to give me the 5th die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You know, I think session reports like this really have a lot to say about the immersion factor of this game.

I'm studying the rules now and have yet to play my first game, but as a great Tolkien fan I look forward to an experience similar to yours!

This just HAS to be a fantastic game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bataar wrote:
The evil Shadow player...

Although I take offence with being called "evil" shake I will speak up as the Shadow player in the game above. Bataar and I have played two memorable sessions of this game in the last month and both have been absolutely enjoyable.

wapahala wrote:
...but as a great Tolkien fan...

I too am a huge Tolkien fan, having read the books countless times and enjoying the movies as well. This game reproduces the feeling I get from reading the story. The game is tense: the shadow gets to smash the free peoples strongholds using hoardes of evil orcs and wild men, while the fellowship places hope in distracting the 'eye' long enough to slip into Mordor with the ring.

I like games that drip theme and this one does. I like Tolkien's tale of the epic battle for Middle Earth and I find this game captures the spirit of his story very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.