Popular Tags: [View All]
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can tokens on regions with a single force be switched during redeployment? This really only makes a difference when Leaders are involved. For example. I have spread my race thin, only one force per region. My leader is alone and exposed on the edge of my conquered territory. I want him to be in a safer location, Can I just switch the leader with another token in a safer spot, say in the mountains? Or would this violate the "must leave one token in each region during redeployment" rule because both regions are being temporarily abandoned during the switch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the switch is OK. The "temporary abandonment" doesn't count, since no region is really being abandoned.

You couldn't switch during any other time than the redeployment phase of your turn, though.

(This is my own judgment, but I am quite sure of it. I would be very surprised if the publishers ruled otherwise, adding an unnecessary and rarely-needed complication to the rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree.

Quote:

Troop Redeployment
Once a player's conquests for the turn have ended, he may
freely redeploy the Race tokens he has on the board, moving
them from one Region to any other Region occupied by his race
(not necessarily just an adjacent or contiguous Region), provided
that at least one Race token remains in each Region under his
control.

I emphasized the important part.

If you are spread so thin that you do not have a single token to move around, then you're done and cannot redeploy. Even a temporary abandonment is an abandonment. It is one of the risks of purchasing a leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But one race token does remain in each region under his control -- nothing is abandoned, he just switches the occupants. The other interpretation adds a Missionaries-and-Cannibals-like logic problem to the game, which isn't what Small World is about.

Redeployment is much looser in its constraints than conquest. Since tokens can be redeployed freely between regions when they aren't even contiguous and may have lots of hostile tokens in between them, it seems strange to forbid a swap that isn't a true abandonment.

I do concede, though, that both interpretations are reasonable, based on what the rules say. It looks like this is another question we'll need to get an official ruling on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Yee
msg tools
It seems unnecessarily picky if you can't shift your leader around during redeployment. It just seems that when you're conquering, you pick up a bunch of tokens and use them to attack - I find it hard to believe that you have to look down at your hand and say: "oh, i've got a race token, and a leader token and a horde token - gee I need to spend the time to put the leader token back and replace it with another race token" - all before you start attacking - it just seems to blow a lot of time on something unimportant. I think the game-makers just want you board to end up the way you envision it at the end of the turn - have a token on each territory, heroes here or there, etc., and that the actual physical mechanics of doing your actions are all that important. I think that's what the redeployment phase is all about - reorganizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Troop Redeployment
Once a player's conquests for the turn have ended, he may
freely redeploy the Race tokens he has on the board, moving
them from one Region to any other Region occupied by his race
(not necessarily just an adjacent or contiguous Region), provided
that at least one Race token remains in each Region under his
control.

I emphasized the really important parts.

Keep in mind that this was written before there actually was a difference between race tokens, and without having any fore-thought of leaders. We know this for sure because the leaders were invented by a fan, not by the writers of the manual. So when this was written the issue didn't exist.

We have to establish what was meant with "remains". Did the writer mean: "remains at all times during troop redeployment" or "remains after troop redeployment is over." I think it is reasonable to assume the latter was meant, especially since otherwise it would interfere with the "freely" part earlier in the same section.

The distinction on "remains" is made because when starting your conquest round you may abandon a region completely, and during redeployment you may not.

I think it is safe to assume you may freely redeploy your tokens in any way you want, including swapping your leader token with another token somewhere, as long as you do not leave one of your regions abandoned at the end of your troop redeployment phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bynaker
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think at best this is a gray area. I've always been flexible and allowed people to move things around freely which, IMHO, has the effect of eliminating some AP in the conquering phase. In case there are rules lawyers in the group I freely advise my opponents of things such as "Don't use your leader for your final conquest" (i.e. alone with a die roll) and "Don't stack those two horde tokens together."

I guess my official position would be that the rules suggest that you might not be able to do this so don't put yourself in a position where it matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.