Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darrell(me) as Field Operative
Cathy as Epidemiologist
Will as the Scientist

First of all, this was Cathy and My first time ever playing. So playing a light cooperative game is actually very fun for first timers.

At the start of the game, we got lucky and had most of the disease start in blue and red. Will played first and started cleaning out a bunch of blues. Then Cathy followed right after him and did the same. Not really cooperating with what I wanted them to do, because I allready have a couple blue cards in my hand, and with my special powers. I needed to take samples of the blue infection to cure it.

Fairly quickly, red started to become a threat. I stayed and cleaned out blue, and eventually found a cure for it. I pretty much made it clear that I was staying in the blue area to make a cure. I didn't want to miss any turns because my special ability was so very valuable to be used every turn i could use it.

Meanwhile, Will and Cathy simultaneously traveled to red territory and started working on a clean up when epidemic comes out. Huge spreads in Yellow, and a small amount in black. This is while red is still looking a bit messy. I think Will built a research lab in Red area and teleported to the starting point Atlanta and started heading south. Cathy traded enough times with her special ability to cure red. This is about when the second epidemic happend, withing one turn of the 1st epedemic with only yellows in the discard pile.

The 2nd epidemic created a chain outbreak in two yellow cities and we were basically down to a couple yellow markers before total death. Luckily Will was in the area to use a special card that would avoid the bad stuff from happening on the epidemic card. Next Cathy started heading towards Yellow area, back towards Will to meet up in a yellow city to trade that card to Will. They barely finished finding a cure for yellow. Just as I picked up my third black cube and cured black.

Game victory in exactly 6 turns.

Field Operative seems pretty useful if he can get many turns. Three turns for each cure is pretty nice. Assuming you don't have many players, Field Operative can do some major curing.

I assume if you have lots of players, that Field Operatives becomes less effective because you will all die within 4 turns maybe. However, if you are lucky and start out with blue cards, and want to cure Blue. Then field operator really comes in handy.

Cathy had Epidemiologist, which was able to take cards from players. Really impressive ability for curing too. Another very good role to play.

Will had the Scientist. I really don't remember him using any useful special abilities. I guess he only needed 4 to cure diseases as a scientist. Maybe he was just stuck getting the left overs, and chasing the disease.

So, basically. We won our first ever Pandemic game, which is wonderful. Will tried to encourage us to play a harder mode, and introduced all the extra epidemic cards with the other baddies. We decided to deal with the harder versions of the game another day. (We wanted to do our first time ever game of PowerGrid and Calus:Magna Carta)

Overall, I really liked the Pandemic game. I'm very proud to say that I get why this game is so much fun. With a group of players, it's OK to have fun and win this game (that's what we did, easy mode). If you want to take it serious and have challenges, then you can easily ramp up the tension by adding more bad cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.