Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having a nap to get ready for Chinese New Year celebrations here in Beijing and my wife came back from her shopping with a little surprise for me.

She bought me a copy of UNO for 8 RMB (80 euro cents) and a copy of The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow that includes a copy of The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow: New Moon for 15 RMB (1.5 euro).

I felt great and very surprised as my wife usually is the one blocking all my game purchases as they are "unimportant" and "unnecessary".

I also felt a bit guilty as obviously these two games are a knock off. You can tell that the designs for the UNO cards are slightly different, the size of the cards and the quality of the cards. Also in the packaging there is no Mattel branding although is vaguely mentioned in 6pt font hidden in the bottom of the pack, almost unnoticeable.

Also for Werewolf it is also obvious that it is a fake, because it has both the game and the expansion in one package, the cards are from different material, the printed images have a bit less quality than the originals, but the overall quality is outstanding for a fake. The rule book is completely different to the original one (I already own a copy of both the game and the expansion).

I think this will help my game nights when I'm the only non-Chinese player as all New Moon cards have been translated into Chinese and also the rules.

So I'm very happy but also feel a bit guilty for buying fake games that, by the way, were not bought by the street or in some dodgy shop, they were bought oh the irony at a Seven Eleven in Beijing. Priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Good story!

thumbsup

I hope someday one of my own game designs will become popular enough to generate a cheap Chinese knock-off edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife just told me that the copy of Werewolf she got me is the original one, the Chinese original one. I don't know what to say or trust. Certainly the quality is different and the rule booklet is plain black and white cheap paper, not the glossy full-couloured one we get in the West. I can understand reducing the quality in order to reduce cost and bring down the price to make it affordable for the Chinese market, that could be possible.

In the box, it comes with a website, a Chinese one, I've checked it out and it's a Chinese game shop that produces wirepuzzles and other kind of brainteasers, but no boardgames are mentioned at all. I don't see the connection. Did this shop funded or manufactured the Chinese Werewolf? Very suspicious...

Anyways, I'm with you Pete, it would be an honour to have one of my games copied for the Chinese market. The only difference with your case is that I would possibly see it every time I come back to China (I go at least once a year) and that would produce mixed feelings. I'd still be proud though.

I'd buy a knock-off of my game, just for a laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sprocket314 wrote:
I was having a nap to get ready for Chinese New Year celebrations here in Beijing and my wife came back from her shopping with a little surprise for me.

Beijing/Surrey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me grumpy, but with a title like "my wife is the best ever" I was far from impressed when I read she got you 2 dirtcheap knock-off games, instead of giving you her seemingly usual "games are a waste of money" bit....

Let me start the bragging war now:

You're wrong! MY wife is the best ever.

She let me buy more than 250 games over the last 3 years and stash them mainly in our living room. Which obviously gave it a very untidy look. So she bought a really long shelf (4 meters) which we hung in the hallway next to the living room to stash a lot of them on. So it would look better but I'd still be close to my games...

Oh, and she likes to play boardgames with me, and even though she's not so addicted as I am, I've managed to play more than 200 different games from my collection these 3 years since I'm on the geek (even though she indicated 3 years ago that we probably had enough games already to last a lifetime)

Allright, let me hear from the rest of you....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topper Harley wrote:
sprocket314 wrote:

Beijing/Surrey?

Well, we are visiting the family in China (you can see my (Chinese) wife in my avatar) and we'll be back in Surrey in no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeBwithoutadot wrote:
Call me grumpy, but with a title like "my wife is the best ever" I was far from impressed when I read she got you 2 dirtcheap knock-off games, instead of giving you her seemingly usual "games are a waste of money" bit....

Let me start the bragging war now:

She let me buy more than 250 games over the last 3 years and stash them mainly in our living room. Which obviously gave it a very untidy look. So she bought a really long shelf (4 meters) which we hung in the hallway next to the living room to stash a lot of them on. So it would look better but I'd still be close to my games...

Oh, and she likes to play boardgames with me, and even though she's not so addicted as I am, I've managed to play more than 200 different games from my collection these 3 years since I'm on the geek (even though she indicated 3 years ago that we probably had enough games already to last a lifetime)

Your wife is awesome, treat her nice!
Just the gesture of buying the two games is something unbelievably out of the ordinary if you knew my wife. To me, that was a hell of a surprise that I would have never expected. You don't know the amount of pain I have to go through every time I intend to buy a new game and I only have like 40! If I put up some shelves I can tell you that I'd be paying more money for them that my whole gaming budget for a year (or two!).

I'm in the need of a Masters in International Diplomacy just to go to Essen and self-publish a game and it hasn't happened yet!

In short: you win hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband is the best ever!!!!! (he is the non-gaming spouse)

He is going to drive me 1 1/2 hours to a game meet next month!! And...he may not even be able to play this year as he might have to entertain our 9-year old!!!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeBwithoutadot wrote:

When I was lamenting that War of the Ring Collector's Edition was simply too much money, my wife said "If it means a lot to you, just buy it". She's a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
MikeBwithoutadot wrote:

When I was lamenting that War of the Ring Collector's Edition was simply too much money, my wife said "If it means a lot to you, just buy it". She's a keeper.

Definitely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeBwithoutadot wrote:

Is that all you got? devil

My wife *wants* me to buy her games, is continually begging me to play them, she love deep games like Caylus and Le Havre, and has purchased plane tickets and passes for two to BGG.CON twice. And gave me geekgold as a stocking stuffer.

Oh, and on our trip to Spain later this year, she decided that since we were on the same continent, we ought to take a sidetrip to Essen for that little Spiel conference thing they have. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
MikeBwithoutadot wrote:

My wife *wants* me to buy her games, is continually begging me to play them, she love deep games like Caylus and Le Havre, and has purchased plane tickets and passes for two to BGG.CON twice. And gave me geekgold as a stocking stuffer.

Oh, and on our trip to Spain later this year, she decided that since we were on the same continent, we ought to take a sidetrip to Essen for that little Spiel conference thing they have. cool

Amazing! That was in 2009 or for the upcoming 2010?
Where did/will you guys go in Spain? I'm Spanish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Somebody is going to have to seriously violate the forum guidelines to beat that!
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sprocket314 wrote:

We're flying into Seville for a few days, and will see the Granada/Alhambra area as well. After that, off to Munich, then Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sprocket314 wrote:

We're flying into Seville for a few days, and will see the Granada/Alhambra area as well. After that, off to Munich, then Essen.

Interesting! I was born in Granada and lived over 20 years in Seville, where my parents and half of my family live...

I can certainly recommend some places to eat there...

Send me a Geekmail and if you want I can give you some advice.

Great choice of cities, I thought you were going to say the stereotypical Barcelona, which is not bad either, but cannot be compared with Andalucia (the South of Spain).

And by the way, that means that we could even meet in person, as my wife and I will be there in my own mini-stand in Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.