Popular Tags: [View All]
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think wargaming is my first love as far as finding ways to spend my free time. While I am hopelessly addicted to wargaming I still find time to do other things with my time.
I spend a lot of time reading, whether it be on the internet or books themselves.
I ride motorcycles a lot during the warmer months and this takes a lot of time away from my wargaming. It's not unusual for me and friends to take off on the bikes and be gone for days at a time.
I also play some D&D with friends and family from time to time.
I even find time once in a while for woodworking. I've made toyboxes and computer desks for grandkids and kids.
So I wonder, what do you do when you are not gaming and/or reading about gaming? What are your other hobbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
reading, lots of reading. I played guitar for about fifteen years but when I changed jobs about a year and a half ago I put it down and haven't touched it since as I don't have the time. I do hope to make the time in the future but wargaming gets first priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
xlhrider wrote:
I think wargaming is my first love as far as finding ways to spend my free time. While I am hopelessly addicted to wargaming I still find time to do other things with my time.
I spend a lot of time reading, whether it be on the internet or books themselves.
I ride motorcycles a lot during the warmer months and this takes a lot of time away from my wargaming. It's not unusual for me and friends to take off on the bikes and be gone for days at a time.
I also play some D&D with friends and family from time to time.
I even find time once in a while for woodworking. I've made toyboxes and computer desks for grandkids and kids.
So I wonder, what do you do when you are not gaming and/or reading about gaming? What are your other hobbies?

1. Reading

2. The Garden

3. The occasional craft thing - recently had fun working with my teenager building a mousetrap car.

4. Used to build model kits - still have 30-40 kits in various stages of construction, two airbrush sets, various cutting / shaping tools, Testors, Xtra Color paints...I often think I will build something - but have not in about 5 years.

I have been considering doing something to combine 3 and 4 - a nicely done large scale Wooden Ship.

---Hobby into job - IT work - I am a Computer Geek ever since I got my hands on an HP programmable calculator and TRS 80 Computer in 1980. That hobby eventually became my career -- after several years landscaping, then carpentry, then electrical trade, then estimator / occasional PM.

-------------------

Let's add documentaries - I sure do enjoy the heck out of those - collecting them to watch them in the EWR.

Most recent - Dan Snow's 'Empire of the Seas'.

And cooking - though a necessity - I do enjoy cooking, a lot. I am addicted to watching Good Eats.

I rarely cook the same dish twice - the same basics, but the variants are constant and many.

------------------

Forgot about the cats. I love cats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

mb

I read history books (not just military stuff, although that certainly is my favorite topic) and enjoy watching (while often laughing at the mistakes) history programs on cable TV.

mb

I am a big fan of classic films but I seldom see any of the new releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than wargaming, my other main "interest" is closely related.

Military history is my reading fascination, specifically the history of WW2. Also, the Korean and Vietnam wars.

It's not all linked to war though, I also enjoy reading in general. Currently I'm revisiting the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Vols 1-8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading when I find the time, which is not often. blush

I collect comic books in small doses. I have abandoned the "big two" in favor of small indie titles. This is not pretension; I just can't stand what DCMarvelDisneyTimeWarnerViacomInc produces anymore.

I like to paint minis, but again not very often; I never seem to find time.

I love to play video games. Yes, I know, the hated video games. I'm a very avid player. I have been since I was about six years of age. I love to play games dating from the 70's through the present day. I like to collect games and game systems from every era. Only space prevents me from setting up a game room.

In the nice weather, I like to fiddle with my yard, help my wife tend a flower garden, keep the grounds neat, and do little house chores to keep my home looking nice. I'm not handy in any way but it's worth putting in an occasional weekend to spruce up the place.

I collect and listen to audio books every day. I couldn't do house chores without them. They also help me fall asleep.

I love classic movies. I also like more contemporary stuff but I seldom have the desire to just sit and watch television anymore. I don't go to the movies. yuk

I keep house plants and enjoy adding more when I can find space.

I'm the caretaker to a family of groundhogs who came with my house when we moved in three years ago. They live under my garage. I love seeing them. I like to leave them be and quietly watch them do their thing in the early hours of the day. I'm a morning person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:

It's not all linked to war though, I also enjoy reading in general. Currently I'm revisiting the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Vols 1-8.

Great story! My grandson just started reading this. I read it years ago and was equally entranced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

And cooking - though a necessity - I do enjoy cooking, a lot. I am addicted to watching Good Eats.

I rarely cook the same dish twice - the same basics, but the variants are constant and many.

Yep, forgot about cooking, I love to do that too. However, we do tend to have the same dishes over and over, and it gets kind of stale.

I too love Good Eats, although I think Mr. Brown has grown tired of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Reading non-fiction, mostly history

2. Reading science fiction: I just discovered Alastair Reynolds

3. Grad school at night

4. Programming (yeah... I actually program for fun)

5. Music: I play a synthesizer in the basement

6. Making games: So many of the games on my wish list are out of print that I have to make them myself.

7. Raising two kids and keeping my wife happy

Note: The above not necessarily in that order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Time with Family
2. Bowling
3. Reading
4. Aging

Really don't like the fourth one but its better than the alternative....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor X wrote:
I collect and listen to audio books every day. I couldn't do house chores without them. They also help me fall asleep.

As I said above, I'm revisiting the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Having read the first 6 volumes twice over in my early years, I am now listening to volumes 1-8 in audio books. And I agree 100% - makes doing the domestic stuff, such as cooking, washing up, ironing, etc., etc. much more enjoyable when done to the narration from these audio files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Play hockey...
Play guitar...
Working on Graphic Novel...
Dog...
Wife...
Reading...
Movies (any genre)...
puter games...

Err don't know why I posted (sigh) these are the things that have replaced war gaming ...

ArrrOOooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotta reading, more history than anything else but also fiction (SF, fantasy, some classics), science, current events, politics, economics...

Lotta cooking.

Lotta walking.

Some TV/movie watching mostly from Netflix.

Listening to music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- driving Tank
- laying Mines
- digging in

(ok...uhm, what? playing too many games?... )

Oh btw Sex seems to be a really nice hobby, i like that, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading, historical books, classics and somtimes something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:

Oh btw Sex seems to be a really nice hobby, i like that, too!

Bah sex isn't a hobby! It's a CAREER!

ArrrOOooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I own a SCCA ITA spec race car and we race about 4-6 times a year. It is road racing for those that have never heard of the SCCA. It can get pretty expensive so we don't get to do it as much as we would like. I was also played guitar in a rock band for about 10 years until our singer and my best friend passed away from cancer a year and a half ago. I really havne't been that motivated to play since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Benn
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Dad! My first baby girl is 10 weeks old...
Time for hobbies gets somewhat limited.

Other than wargaming, I read a lot - although a fair chunk is history and military history, I feel the need to be a bit more rounded as an individual and not be totally obsessed by war.

The majority particularly at the moment is astrophysics/popular science although good sci-fi (like Alistair Reynolds) when it can be found hits the spot.

At the moment I'm reading "The Last Valley" (again) about Dien Bien Phu which is excellent.

Before that was Supercontinent which explored among other things whether Pangaia was responsible for Snowball Earth which caused the pre-Cambrian life explosion. Also "The trouble with Physics" by Lee Smolin, which argues that String theory and its adherents are part of the reason why we haven't found a theory of everything. Interesting stuff but I'd like to hear the other sides arguments...I do warm to his scepticism about multiverse and brane theories - the fact that testable experiments have not been offered means that it's unprovable.

I write occasionally but am very slow at putting stuff together. In my opinion I can slowly and painfully craft quite good stuff, but it takes far too long. Other people might disagree about the good part.

I've written a few articles on ASL for an online zine called view from the trenches and many AAR's. Now they are easy to write.

In my younger days I did interesting things like parachuting and scuba diving but I'm an old fart - 38 - now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AFV modelling.
Reading, mostly books around the subject of the continuing development of Quantum Theory.
Listening to music, ON VINYL whenever possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading. And baseball.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cycling
Everything Internet
Astronomy
Pinball
Audio Books
Kindle Books
Movies
Pool
Computer Gaming
Other non-wargames (Euros etc.)

edit: added Pinball and Pool....remembered I have a gameroom stocked with them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crom Cruach wrote:
In my younger days I did interesting things like parachuting and scuba diving but I'm an old fart - 38 - now.

Like wise! (though I am an even older fart than you )

Maybe we need an ex-skydiver microbadge....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargaming , reading ( mostly military history), Baseball, Football and women. Not necessarily in that order!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
reading, cooking (Indian food in particular), pickling and preserving, home brewing, country wine making......

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.