Subject: TS Deluxe game - best win ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let me start by saying I didn't go into this wargameroom game of TS with any preconception that I would be writing it up afterwards. Therefore I didn't take notes and this session report will sadly be a little bereft of the round to round details! However, I feel I have to report it, because if I don't, no one will ever know of the finish that happened! My opponent, pelotonto (from Italy), has been a regular opponent of mine on wargameroom over recent weeks and it's good because generally our games have been very close and played in great spirit. We've been playing with the Optional cards and no extra influence for the US.

This one started with me as the USSR and pelo as the US. He immediately took a very aggressive stance in Europe with several unexpected escapades into East Ger over round 1 and 2. Eventually he used a headlined Truman around turn 3 to take an 'end of last round knocked out' East Ger (nice move, and noted for future!). This condemned me to a solitary outpost in Poland...

No worries! The rest of the world was looking much rosier for the USSR. Asia and the Middle East were pro-USSR most the game. I do believe pelo elegantly knocked Asia out once just before scoring to prevent a domination score. Africa was topsy-turvy, with it eventually becoming pro-USSR by the end game. This region was probably the least influencial in the game's scoring, with several no-scores.

Pelo did manage to secure a Central America Control scoring, before I managed to wrestle it out of his hands. South America remained fairly split during the majority of the game, but as turn 10 approached its conclusion, it would've scored control for USSR! Boost!

When it came to the point where there were 3 rounds left to play of turn 10, the USSR controlled South America, had domination of the Middle East and Africa. Central America was split and I think Asia was still knocked out. Meanwhile Europe was scoring domination for the US. That's when, unbeknownst to me, pelo went for the jugular with what cards he'd stored plus the China card. He blitzed Poland. I thought that with the two 2 Ops and one 3 Ops card I had left to play I'd be safe from such a move, but I wasn't. In the final round of turn 10, he slapped down Aldrich Ames (Remix) to take Poland 14/11 and with it control of Europe and the Game, which would have definitely been mine at scoring... arrghh, well done pelotonto!

This was probably the most exciting finish to a game I've ever experienced, and it only serves to firmly cement my opinion that TS is the number 1 two-player game out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great, tense game... what Twilight Struggle is all about.

When I first started reading about Twilight Struggle and learning the rules, it seemed like winning by Control of Europe would not happen all that often, perhaps only if one player was not careful and neglected Europe.

However, I have won by Control of Europe at least once (maybe twice, can't remember at the moment), and I have only played a handful of games thus far. It seems to be more in reach than I originally thought, and your game certainly makes that even more clear. I think the US has a good chance at a Control of Europe win, but for the USSR it seems more difficult.

I would be interested in hearing from others about USSR Control of Europe wins...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wakeford
United Kingdom
Nairn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you are in Edinburgh, If you fancy a game sometime both the misses and I play.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.