Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(ok ok so I had already removed the shrink wrap...AND punched the chits out...but other than that it was a virgin game =)

So my new gaming group of 4 had just finished a rousing (1st play ever, I did say it was a new group didn't I?) of Axis & Allies when we realized the wives surely are engaged in at least 30-60 minutes more of gossip upstairs.

So what a better idea than try another new game! Wings of War: Dawn of World War II it is!

While the other 3 guys selected planes and organized cards and chits, I hurried through the rules...and boy were the basics easy to get. Considering non of us have ever played this game or anything like it, we understood the rules after about 5 minutes.

So my partner and I (he a Spitfire, me a Hurricane) were pitted against the evil Axis of a Bf109 and Dewoitine D.520...starting at the corners of the play field, we quickly paired off into our own little dance with an opposite pilot.

What's this? Right out of the gate the D.520 is taking a head-on run at me and lights me up! I fly on by and try to lose him with a beautiful array of sweeps and swoops.

My comrade in the Spitfire has much better luck that the rest of us. Although the Bf109 has had several clipping shots of opportunity, I'll be damned if he doesn't keep pulling all the 0 chits. Hit 4 times - NO DAMAGE (We were playing with all the damage showing, which I now know is wrong...but hey we had had a lot of beer at that point)

We all continue the aerial ballet for 20 minutes and that's when it all starts going awry.

My buddy in the Spit makes a fabulous run on the Bf109, and puts him down for the count...but in finishing his pass... HE FLIES OFF THE TABLE!

So it's down to just the D.520 and my banged up Hurricane. After several failed passes on both side...the infamous calls in from home base (wives) comes in to both pilots. We fly home neither victor nor loser.
------

Throughout the entire game everyone was super engaged with the play, and we were a raucous group (way more so that when playing A&A). It was downright fun!

It's safe to say we will all be coming back for more of WoW in our next play session, and hopefully with more of the rules figured out =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.